shed hunting

Help Support CattleToday:

Dave

Reaction score
Last week I told my daughter about a set of sheds I had spotted. She wanted to go pick them up. So up the hill we went. Things being so dry we parked the quads and walked up the hill. About 200 yards up the hill she started to say something and then jumped sideways about 30 feet. She had seen a pretty good size rattle snake. She asked where my shovel was (to kill the snake). I pointed down the hill to the quad. The snake was headed west and we were headed north so we parted ways. We went to the sheds I had spotted earlier. It was a set lost in a bed. Just a decent 2 by 3. A short distance later I found a 5 point shed. Then she found another 2 point. I figured this must be a good area for bucks to hang out at the time of year they are shedding horns. I have gone back 3 times and haven't found another shed. And I have been packing the 22 pistol and I haven't seen the snake or his relatives either.

You can see there is a little up and down in this area. And some rock too. Good country for big Mule deer bucks and friendly snakes.

I had a snake come after me yesterday morning early when I went to open a entry gate. He was down in the cattle guard. Probably damp and cool down there. He came out and attacked like he was king of the hill and I jumped and did a little dance thinking it was a copperhead but on closer examination it was just an overly aggressive rat snake.
I guess he was just ding his job so I left him alone. Darn sure woke me up though.

bird dog":3f96xfa7 said:
I had a snake come after me yesterday morning early when I went to open a entry gate. He was down in the cattle guard. Probably damp and cool down there. He came out and attacked like he was king of the hill and I jumped and did a little dance thinking it was a copperhead but on closer examination it was just an overly aggressive rat snake.
I guess he was just ding his job so I left him alone. Darn sure woke me up though.

I wasn't looking on my friends place cept the road, place is covered up in rattlesnakes. You wear snake chaps or boots if you get in the prickly pear and mesquite.

Here is a picture of a couple elk sheds I picked up. I was over at one of the neighboring ranches last week. They had a stack of 20 or more that were all this big or bigger.

I stepped out to take this picture and there was 8 deer under an apple tree in the corner of the front yard. It is 3:20 here, so middle of the day in the bright daylight.

Dave":yecymcdx said:
Here is a picture of a couple elk sheds I picked up. I was over at one of the neighboring ranches last week. They had a stack of 20 or more that were all this big or bigger.

I stepped out to take this picture and there was 8 deer under an apple tree in the corner of the front yard. It is 3:20 here, so middle of the day in the bright daylight.
Sounds like what cattle do down here when it's hot, find a shade tree to hang out under. :nod:

1982vett":38c84s29 said:
Dave":38c84s29 said:

Sounds like what cattle do down here when it's hot, find a shade tree to hang out under. :nod:

They were eating the wind fall apples. This is a big tree and just loaded. One of the irrigation ditches runs under that apple tree. The ditch runs through a 24 inch culvert about 30 feet from that tree. Last week I couldn't figure out why there was so little water coming through the culvert. Turned out it was jam packed full of apples. Cleaned them out and I had running water again. The deer do lay up in the shade under the Junipers on the hills or the cottonwoods along the river. Under the Junipers is where I look for the sheds.

I used to love shed hunting. Best places around here seem to be where they cross fences. I guess when they get loose the impact of landing causes them to fall off. I've also found quite a few while I was working fields in the spring. They will tear up a tractor tire good sometimes. I've never seen one, but I've read about people that trained dogs to hunt sheds. Bet if you had a good dog that'd be the ticket!

callmefence":1ajt96u5 said:
Shed trap
Three tpost about five feet on center in a V...tie a scap of net wire to the t post.. preferably Tornado wire. Pour corn in the V. Works pretty good.

It's the squirrels here sheds don't last for some reason.
We must be lacking in calcium as they will gnaw them off the wall of out buildings.

callmefence":1yp7b1dh said:
Shed trap
Three tpost about five feet on center in a V...tie a scap of net wire to the t post.. preferably Tornado wire. Pour corn in the V. Works pretty good.

Seen a contraption like this on the Internet. Looked to be working dang good. I have to admit that I would have never dreamed that idea up.

Latest posts