Shed Costs.

Help Support CattleToday:

tommaso

Reaction score
Hi all, i am starting a buffalo cattle and i am putting some numbers (costs) together, however, i am not sure on how much i should spend for the shelter and food shed. How muche would it cost a good quality one for 100 buffalos (or more than one if they are not big enough)?

Thank you

For housing the buffalo shouldn;t require anything. Calculate how mcuh hay you will need, at 10% and base the size of the feed shed on that.

Only thing you need really is maybe a hay barn if that. My buddy is in the construction business and I have a general contractors license so we can get things cheaper than the average Joe. Five years ago I built a 40X60 hay barn that cost 8,000 total. Had someone else done it and or gotten the parts for it it would have been about 10,000 maybe even more.

Water bufallo in the winter in WY would probably need some sort of shelter. Being as how they're basicly a tempret climate breed. Visit a feedlot and see what size their pens are that house 100 head, that should be a good guideline for what size building you would need

Am I missing something? How do we know it's shelter for water buffalo and not bison?? Bison shouldn't need shelter.

We put up a 12 X 24 loafing shed with a good grade of corrugated steel on it for about $700. This includes some extra hardware to hopefully hold it together in a strong wind. We've lost this shed 3 times in 20 years to thunderstorm wind gusts 70+ mph coming in the open side and lifting the roof off. There's room in it for about 10 head. So for 100 head, you're talking about a very large building.

dun":1fo5asqb said:
Water bufallo in the winter in WY would probably need some sort of shelter. Being as how they're basicly a tempret climate breed. Visit a feedlot and see what size their pens are that house 100 head, that should be a good guideline for what size building you would need

Ok, I'm confused! How do you know they are water buffalo, and how do you know they are in Wyoming? :???: Are you omniscent(sp?), telepathic, or did the original poster pm you?

If you read the posters other posts you will see the connection, In this thread he addresses "buffalo, in the other threads he refers to them as water buaffalo for the making of mozzerella cheese. Simple deduction/assumptions on my part.
My original post on this thread addressed american buffalo (bison). After reading his other posts I added the water buffalo part.

If he is going to put 100 of either type in a barn, he'd best figure in quite a few nickels for ventilation. Those critters put out some serious BTUs. We could have us some oven baked bison on our hands.

sorry guys thak you all for the advises, i did non put the alert on the email therefore i did not se that you were writing, however i ment a shelter, not a shed. i have found some water buffalos in the east, michigan. and what i need is a heated shelter for tough winters. ( water bufalos are very strong animals, they are raised in russia, but they need shelter for sever weather)

Best regards
Tommaso

:tiphat:

Latest posts