She takes her job seriously

Help Support CattleToday:

Ky hills

Reaction score
Our little Heeler picked up driving cattle around the barn lot. She is surprisingly good and easy with the calves, she knows the difference in cows and calves and doesn't nip at the calves. She wants everything and everybody to be in their rightful place whether it's cattle, people, trash cans, lawnmowers, etc. The lawn mower was in the wrong place and she knew that it might try to move so she had to try to get going back to the garage. ED39043C-41F5-458B-A913-B36439CE0AB5.jpeg

Last week a big Charolais bull came walking down the driveway. My 4 month old Idaho Shag X Border Collie pup chased him out of the driveway and down the road. Now I need to get a little bit of a handle on her. I thought I was going to have to get on the quad to get her back.

Last week a big Charolais bull came walking down the driveway. My 4 month old Idaho Shag X Border Collie pup chased him out of the driveway and down the road. Now I need to get a little bit of a handle on her. I thought I was going to have to get on the quad to get her back.
This one had pups by my Border Collie, about 3 years ago, when they were about that age 2 of them really turned on to cattle and it was a challenge to keep them from going to work on their own. This Heeler got kicked pretty hard when young, I thought in that second that it might be the end of her cattle driving, but she just yelped then growled and went right after that cow.

Last edited:
My favorite dog breed. I had a female that was starting to get good at rounding up the cattle and she ran under my tractor tire as a car passed on the other side. I replaced her with an Australian Shepherd that was to feisty and barked all the time.

Your heeler sure is pretty.

Love the breed. Owned one for 50 years. Too bad no tail. That's part of their personality!
"MOST" people shouldn't own a heeler. YOU have to be the Alpha. They are very strong willed. But, they are not nearly as energetic as Aussies or Border Collies. You really have to keep them busy all the time. Heelers are pretty mellow compared.

Love the breed. Owned one for 50 years. Too bad no tail. That's part of their personality!
"MOST" people shouldn't own a heeler. YOU have to be the Alpha. They are very strong willed. But, they are not nearly as energetic as Aussies or Border Collies. You really have to keep them busy all the time. Heelers are pretty mellow compared.
My wife was pretty disappointed when she realized they had docked their pups tails. I wanted to name her Stub😂 but wife didn't like that idea. That was my first Heeler without a tail. My Border Collie would have probably benefited from not having a tail as he was all time under foot and getting it stepped on or caught in something as a pup. I like the personality of Heelers.

Our current heeler is 7. Phenotypically he is the most handsome Heeler I've had,....but, structurally not good. When he was about 3, vet diagnosed bad ACL'S. Said he would keep injuring it and it would build cartilage so his mid years he would get around the best. That's where he is at now. Absolutely loves Frisbee and can leap and catch just about anyone you throw.
They are soooo loyal. Great companion.

Our current heeler is 7. Phenotypically he is the most handsome Heeler I've had,....but, structurally not good. When he was about 3, vet diagnosed bad ACL'S. Said he would keep injuring it and it would build cartilage so his mid years he would get around the best. That's where he is at now. Absolutely loves Frisbee and can leap and catch just about anyone you throw.
They are soooo loyal. Great companion.
I had a male heeler several years ago that went blind at only 5 yrs old. Our Heelers have all been loyal and protective. This one is very wary of people, but usually warms up over time. Have to keep a close watch on her, if a vehicle come up. Most are afraid to get out but there have been a few old farmer friends that have thought she was bluffing and they found out she wasn't. Surprisingly, she loves children. We had some folks visiting a few years ago, with their grandchildren. One night two of them were playing chess and the grandpa was standing over them coaching and getting irritated with them and she ran over and got in between him and the kids and was growling like a chainsaw. Wife told him that he better forget about winning his argument or he was going to get bit.

Latest posts