She says she has thick skin

Help Support CattleToday:

You've gotten thee first lesson in how bulls can develop. He isn;t half as good looking now as the pictures you sent when you first looked at him. Part of it may be thew gawky stage but a lot of it is he just didn;t develop upto his potential. Think back and you'll recall the bull we kept that looked so darn good between weaning and yearling then completely fell apart as he got closer to breeding age. Fell apart worse then this guy did.

So, my next question for future refernce is.......when purchasing a bull to use on a commercial herd with hopes of aybe retaining some heifers, what is the best age to purchase one?

I switched from AI'ing because I wan'ted to tighten up the calving season. But I sure got some nice calves from the AI'ing!

MistyMorning":2x74bh8e said:
Thanks for the responses. I do just commercial sales, so I'm okay with the topline in regards to that. BUT I had so hoped to get some females out of a couple of cows who are great mothers. Oh well, this is my first owned bull and so I guess I learned a lesson. Thanks again for the replies.
poor structure begins at conception, and stays with em till they die.... good structure in a replacement is a big deal, for staying in the herd ...

I don't know how many cows you run but if you sync them when you AI, then turn them out with the bull you should have a calving window of a month to 60 days at the most.
I would at least do it with the cows you are trying to get replacements out of. If you really want replacements look into sexed semen to use on those cows.
As far as your bull I would have to agree, I do not like his topline or his heart girth, he lacks balance (looks a piecy, all the parts do not come together smoothly) For terminals use him and see what you get, if you like them keep him, if you don't sell him and find a new bull.

I agree. He isn't a good representation of what the breed has to offer. Love me some good RA! :nod:

I used a Northline Rob Roy son out of the DCC Copperlass 406 donor, this past winter. Calves should start hitting the ground the second week of September! :banana:

VCC":2ubyoi8z said:
I don't know how many cows you run but if you sync them when you AI, then turn them out with the bull you should have a calving window of a month to 60 days at the most.
I would at least do it with the cows you are trying to get replacements out of. If you really want replacements look into sexed semen to use on those cows.

Not many cows, under 20 to breed. I did used timed AI for the past couple of years and actually had a pretty good ratio of those bred. But I didn't want a bull full time for just clean up so I leased and that went pretty well too, except I was always at the mercy of when I could get a bull in with them. Hence the spread out calving season.

As far as your bull I would have to agree, I do not like his topline or his heart girth, he lacks balance (looks a piecy, all the parts do not come together smoothly) For terminals use him and see what you get, if you like them keep him, if you don't sell him and find a new bull.

If the bull market is good this fall I may just offload him then with the others I am sending off.

SSGenetics":2hw7fqon said:
I agree. He isn't a good representation of what the breed has to offer. Love me some good RA! :nod:

I used a Northline Rob Roy son out of the DCC Copperlass 406 donor, this past winter. Calves should start hitting the ground the second week of September! :banana:

Good luck and keep us posted on the results!

SSGenetics":1t2hx62y said:
I agree. He isn't a good representation of what the breed has to offer. Love me some good RA! :nod: I used a Northline Rob Roy son out of the DCC Copperlass 406 donor, this past winter. Calves should start hitting the ground the second week of September! :banana:
have you ever had any before?

ALACOWMAN":qi347w84 said:
SSGenetics":qi347w84 said:
I agree. He isn't a good representation of what the breed has to offer. Love me some good RA! :nod: I used a Northline Rob Roy son out of the DCC Copperlass 406 donor, this past winter. Calves should start hitting the ground the second week of September! :banana:
have you ever had any before?

Have had a few over the years, back when we were strictly commercial. Most of my experience with RA is from working with an outfit in TN who have become good friends, and of course using RA bulls on some of my Gerts.

Latest posts