she has 14 (update)

Help Support CattleToday:

Angus Cowman

Reaction score
the Great State of Mental Distress ( Florida)
Octuplets mom once feared she could not give birth
The Ethics of Motherhood ABC News WHITTIER, Calif. – Nadya Suleman once feared she could never give birth. She was depressed after enduring multiple failed pregnancies and the anguish of not having children.

Now she is the mother of 14, including octuplets born last week. The disclosure that the single mother already had six children ranging from 2 to 7 years old prompted a torrent of criticism and questions about the ethics of her fertility treatment.

"That was always a dream of mine, to have a large family, a huge family," Suleman told NBC's "Today" show on Thursday in an interview scheduled to air next week. "I just longed for certain connections and attachments with another person that ... I really lacked, I believe, growing up."

The interview, along with public documents obtained by The Associated Press, lifted the veil of secrecy in which Suleman shrouded herself after the Feb. 26 birth of her octuplets.

She told NBC she struggled for seven years before finally giving birth to her first child. According to state documents, Suleman told a doctor she had three miscarriages. Another doctor disputed that number, saying she had two ectopic pregnancies, a dangerous condition in which a fertilized egg implants somewhere other than in the uterus.

Suleman said all 14 of her children were born by in vitro fertilization from sperm donated by a friend.

Suleman's publicist, Mike Furtney, said Thursday that Suleman was "feeling great" and looking forward to being reunited with her octuplets, who were born prematurely and are expected to remain in the hospital for several more weeks.

The state documents describe Suleman, 33, becoming pregnant with her first child after a 1999 injury during a riot at a state mental hospital where she worked.

Suleman feared she would lose the child and sunk into an intense depression, according to a psychological evaluation in her workers' compensation case.

"When you have a history of miscarriages, you think it will take a miracle," she told Dr. Dennis Nehamen. "I just wanted to die. I suspected I was pregnant but I thought, 'That's ridiculous.'"

But the 2001 birth of the baby "helped my spirits," Suleman said.

More than 300 pages of documents were disclosed to The Associated Press following a public records request to the state Division of Workers' Compensation.

Among other things, they reveal that Suleman collected more than $165,000 in disability payments between 2002 and 2008 for the work injury, which she said left her in near-constant pain and helped end her marriage.

Details of the documents were reported the same day that NBC released excerpts of Suleman's first interview since giving birth.

In the interview — which was scheduled to air on the "Today" show Monday and again Tuesday on "Dateline" — Suleman calls her childhood as an only child "pretty dysfunctional."

In the state documents, however, doctors quote her as indicating she had a happy childhood. She told them she was an above-average student at Nogales High School in La Puente, where she enjoyed being a cheerleader, had many friends and stayed out of trouble. She said both her parents were loving and supportive.

According to the state documents, Suleman was injured Sept. 18, 1999, when a riot involving nearly two dozen patients broke out in the women's ward of the Metropolitan State Hospital in Norwalk, where she worked as a psychiatric technician. As she was helping other staff members restrain a patient, a desk thrown at her by another patient hit her in the back. It damaged her spine and left her complaining of headaches and intense pain throughout her lower body for years.

Suleman attributed the lingering pain in part to the breakup of her marriage to Marcos Gutierrez, whom she wed in 1996 and divorced in 2008.

She told a psychiatrist the bouts of depression she was suffering as a result of her injury were unfair to her husband.

"I don't want to keep bringing him down," she said. "I want him to move on with his life."

Public records show Suleman was listed on the Metropolitan State Hospital payroll from 1997 until last year, although it appears she did little work after September 1999 because of her injury.

During a hearing on her case in December 2001, Suleman said pregnancy aggravated her back condition. She said she spent most of the day in bed and was unable to care for her first child, according to a report by workers' compensation judge Jerome Bulavsky.

After examining her in August, Dr. Steven Nagelberg attributed 90 percent of her condition to the work incident and 10 percent to her pregnancy.

___

Associated Press writers Shaya Tayefe Mohajer, Raquel Maria Dillon and Thomas Watkins contributed to this report.

Well when she was working in the nut ward she was obviously in the right place. Maybe she should have been a patient instead of staff

Well, get used to seeing her. I have a feeling she's going to be around for a while. I can't wait until she gets her own show on Discovery Health. All the nut jobs seem to get their own shows. I hope she can take care of all those kids. One of the children she already has is autistic.

There's absolutely no excuse for this,no matter how you cut it.
That's the problem nowdays everyone looking for an excuse for being stupid. :mad: :mad:

Cal

She ought to have been taking care of the kids she had rather than trying to have more. She sounds like one of those teen mothers who have a baby because they want "someone to love". I'd like to see her take care of those kids with no husband/boyfriend, job, etc. without help from the state.

It didn't take her long to hire a publicist did it..She is asking 2 million per interview..

I have a feeling her plan was to get rich and become famous the first time she had IVF done and the only way she could do it was by getting knocked up, what an accomplishment.. :roll:

I will not watch or listen to any interview that that stupid b@tch does..

hillsdown":gct22bsu said:
It didn't take her long to hire a publicist did it..She is asking 2 million per interview..

I have a feeling her plan was to get rich and become famous the first time she had IVF done and the only way she could do it was by getting knocked up, what an accomplishment.. :roll:

Thing is, she'll become a celebrity now. She already is going to be on the Today show and Dateline. I think the best thing we could do for her is to turn our collective backs on her. She needs to disappear. I don't think that the stupid media need to give her any more encouragement. We make these psudo-celebrities ot of our own morbid fascination with stupid people.

so those children are going to be raised without a father? :mad:

Kenz":1pmft9yl said:

Yep. I think the grandfather is in the picture. Beats nothing.

Lammie":3i7aujk0 said:
Kenz":3i7aujk0 said:

Yep. I think the grandfather is in the picture. Beats nothing.

Yeah your right, a grandfather being there is better than nothing.
Reading through what I said again - sorry, I didn't mean this to offend anybody who has found themselves in that situation, but this lady is knowingly having her children without a dad. I think their's a big difference between the two

Lammie":5jwvfdzv said:
hillsdown":5jwvfdzv said:

Thing is, she'll become a celebrity now. She already is going to be on the Today show and Dateline. I think the best thing we could do for her is to turn our collective backs on her. She needs to disappear. I don't think that the stupid media need to give her any more encouragement. We make these psudo-celebrities ot of our own morbid fascination with stupid people.
I saw her on the news this morning... anyone else think that she was trying to act just like a celebrity that gets alot of attention for herself and her kids?? She seemed to be really playing up to the camera. Bizzare. She thinks she is going to be able to support her kids after she goes back to college and finishes her degree. So who is going to support them until she gets that dream job??? Boy seems like that fertility clinic missed the boat with the ethics of this whole thing...

I feel sorry for the "father" who will end up having to pay child support.

CKC1586":3uyjwr3e said:
I saw her on the news this morning... anyone else think that she was trying to act just like a celebrity that gets alot of attention for herself and her kids?? She seemed to be really playing up to the camera. Bizzare. She thinks she is going to be able to support her kids after she goes back to college and finishes her degree. So who is going to support them until she gets that dream job??? Boy seems like that fertility clinic missed the boat with the ethics of this whole thing...

At a practical level, she had BETTER become a celebrity! Get every dime she can, because it won't last long. And she has serious bills to pay.
Missed the boat on ethics--yeah! I don't think they even bought a passage for the boat. Probably, their business will flourish because of that.
Lots of women want babies. It is admirable, given what you put yourself in for. Some women, apparently, think it is a contest. I can see someone going for 9. Hell, 10. Let's tear down the barriers.
It scares me that people with the skill to do an "in vitro" fertilization, likely well educated, prominent people; do not have higher ethics .

john250":2wni7tw0 said:
LoveMoo11":2wni7tw0 said:
so...who's gonna take care of the kids while mom does Oprah and stuff??

Grandad? I hope she gets a wad of money, nannies aren't cheap.

From what I read, Grandad was headed back to Iraq to make some more money. I think he's a translator and a construction contractor. And, Grandma stated that when those babies came home, she was outta there, and I don't blame her, altho that may have just been frustration talkin'.

Alice

john250":3dx0sbdl said:
CKC1586":3dx0sbdl said:

At a practical level, she had BETTER become a celebrity! Get every dime she can, because it won't last long. And she has serious bills to pay.
Missed the boat on ethics--yeah! I don't think they even bought a passage for the boat. Probably, their business will flourish because of that.
Lots of women want babies. It is admirable, given what you put yourself in for. Some women, apparently, think it is a contest. I can see someone going for 9. be nice, 10. Let's tear down the barriers.
It scares me that people with the skill to do an "in vitro" fertilization, likely well educated, prominent people; do not have higher ethics .
The sad thing is the stuff those kids are going to go thru. Many will be special needs kids with a lifetime of struggles. No strong established family unit will make it even harder on them. The media circus that their mother seems to enjoy will be difficult for them. (She sure likes the camera and putting on her best Angelina pouty face). No financial stability will probably be the least of their trouble, not sure what the legal responsibility is for donor Dads but he has got to be freaking out about now. Just doesn't seem like she has a full deck and the fertility clinic didn't seem to mind that she had been disturbed. I feel sorry for those kids. It is tough enough on kids today within normal circumstances.

The saddest thing about the whole thing,is thinking about what kind of life those poor little kids will have.
It's just downright awfull.

Cal :( :(

She isn't the only one thats milking the system. There is a woman here in Alberta that had twins from in vitro fertilization. I wouldn't say nothing about it but she is 60 YEARS OLD. She apperantly went to a country outside of Canada (forget where) to get it done because nobody here would do it. I just don't beleive this is right, this woman might only have 10 years left and then what will happen to these kids, orphanage, thats what. If this woman wanted kids that badly she should have started when she was 30!!

Latest posts