sharpening your favorite hunting knife

Help Support CattleToday:

I use a sharping stone, and a honing rod while working. Works good on the high carbon Dexter beaver peeler.

I much prefer a good stone, though they aren't as easy to find these days. The one I have is quite old. I also have one of these.

http://www.academy.com/webapp/wcs/store ... 1_32500_-1
It works almost as good as the stone, and it's very convenient to take on trips without worrying about breaking it.
Those sharpeners with the carbide inserts will wear out a knife in no time.

M.Magis":2wtc6o57 said:
I much prefer a good stone, though they aren't as easy to find these days. The one I have is quite old. I also have one of these.

It works almost as good as the stone, and it's very convenient to take on trips without worrying about breaking it.

Don't kid yourself so will anything with diamond dust in it!

M.Magis":10i2o43j said:

I like that sharpener looks pretty cool I will see if I can find one. I like keeping a razor sharp knife around while processing animals or around the farm i will spend a good amount of time sharpening knives lol

Bite me gary :lol: at least my words make sense. Reading you is about like reading one of those dot head spammers :mrgreen:
I use a stone on the good knives and a carbide sharpener on the lessor knives that just need a quick edge

3waycross":3k18dlpb said:
M.Magis":3k18dlpb said:

Don't kid yourself so will anything with diamond dust in it!
Sure, anything that sharpens is removing material. But that sharpener isn't any more aggressive than my good stone. The carbide sharpeners remove slivers of metal. I used to do a lot of taxidermy in my spare time, and had to keep my knife shaving sharp. With the stone or that Smith sharpener I could hit them lightly every few minutes and keep them sharp without removing hardly any metal. A steel is better suited for that, but I've never been good with one.

hooknline":6hbg4y90 said:
Bite me gary :lol: at least my words make sense. Reading you is about like reading one of those dot head spammers :mrgreen:
I use a stone on the good knives and a carbide sharpener on the lessor knives that just need a quick edge

ummmm..okaaayyyyyy. everyone knows what i mean..what are ya the grammar nazi too...geezzzz.

dieselbeef":2sgsd6fy said:
hooknline":2sgsd6fy said:

ummmm..okaaayyyyyy. everyone knows what i mean..what are ya the grammar nazi too...geezzzz.
Quid pro quo bro. ;-)

I use a diamond stone, then a steel and a piece of leather or my blue jeans for the finishing touch. I carry a 4 1/8" Case trapper two blade, and the spey blade will shave you bald.

My hunting knife and knife I keep in my truck is a craftsman knife and it will cut the F out of you if you are not careful.

I keep a carbide sharpener in my hunting pack to put a quick edge on a knife in the field especially gutting and such. For more serious work I like the Lansky angle sharpener (especially for Buck knives) or a good stone. For farm work I like utility knives......just replace the blade :mrgreen:

I carry the Eye Brand pocket knives and for them they just need a couple swipes with those cheepo fillet knife sharpeners from Academy or WalMart. I have cleaned whole hogs and deer with an Eye Brand, one of those sharpeners, and a pair of loppers.

For my big Buck knives I drop them off with my dad and he uses some old stones that have been around far longer than me. Im about half butt at doing it and it makes him feel usefull so its a win-win. :D

I have the accusharp like your link show but i only use it when there is a chunk missing. Usually on other peoples knives at work cause they try to cut steel with them. I have this one i got at walmart for 3$. It has tbe coarse like the accusharp and fine side and you cant go at the wrong angle. This is a mobile link.

http://m.academy.com/webapp/wcs/stores/ ... 0Sharpener