sharing embryos

Help Support CattleToday:

wally

Reaction score
i have some rare genitic in my cattle. I was asked by a person who does a lot of dealing with out of country cattle farmers. He would like to flush some of my cows. The question is what should I get in cash or # of embryos I get to keep if he pays and keep the cows when he is doing this. Wally

Wally where do you live? What type of cattle do you have? And what are these "rare genetics."
All of that and more, would play into what they are worth. You have not given us enough information to even make a guess.

I can usually find out what my embryos are worth by Googling the sire and seeing what they have sold for at auction out of a similar cow. I don't know anything about Wagyu cattle, but another breeder could probably help you. They can tell you what they have paid or sold Embryos for.
That's a start any way. Maybe even ABS, Select Sires, Gene Trust, or anyone else that does Semen sales on that breed would be able to help you determine the market and price.
Lastly, I would consult with the Wagyu Association rep for your area.

Just throwing some ideas out there for you to try. I am not sure if anyone is a Wagyu breeder on the Forum, but it would not hurt to put up a post that is titled, "Any Wagyu breeders out there?"

This Is what I think that I would do.
You have the cows, he has the contacts.
Around here, it costs me 800 to 1,500 to flush a cow. That includes everything. Including board. The variance in price is due to the number of embryos that are to be frozen. That is where it will be a "cost per embryo" expense. There is no way to know how many #1 and #2 embryos you will get to freeze.

I personally would partner with him. I would have a contract that would give him a certain percent paid in $ or embryos of what he sells. The two of you need to determine the sale price of the Embryos. All payment comes to you, and then you pay him his commission. I would take my cows to a reputable Embryologist or a vet that specializes in flushes. I would have the agreement in writing, and maintain control of the cows and embryos. The Embryos stay with the vet, in his/her care for a modest storage fee. (There will be shipping costs added to the buyer.) The vet does all of the shipping for you.
I would start off with just doing one cow, and see if he gets those embryos sold and money in hand, before I invested any more money into it.
My :2cents:

A $1,500 investment can yield you a hefty profit, or a modest loss. You will still have the embryos to sell or use yourself. By doing it this way, you can't really loose unless you get 0 embryos. (And it does happen.) :)

Unless I knew a person really, really well. (Even loved them!) They would not be in control of my cow and embryos.

I was thinking of him getting the first 2 embryo and then I take the next 2 and then he gets 1 and I get the next one or some thing like that. I know that they might be none. Wally

There could be 25 in one flush Wally!
How well do you know this guy, that you are willing to let him take 50% of your profits?? Sounds like you are paying him an awful lot to sell a few embryos and trusting him with your cattle. Not something that I would do that way.........but it is your cattle and your money.

I;m hoping we both make some money and my prefix will get known this way.

Latest posts