Share your "something I learned" ...

Help Support CattleToday:

WalnutCrest

Reaction score
I was thinking that each of us probably learn some tricks that are REALLY cheap (if not free) that, if everyone knew it, would improve the quality of life of everyone else here ... so ... here's my idea for you all ...

Last winter, we were out of my regular soap, and so I started using my wife's DOVE soap in the shower and never got around to getting my regular soap at the store. Then, all spring and summer and fall (so far), I've had (maybe) three chigger bites. I'm usually covered in bites (even after having doused myself with a variety of sprays). Why no bites? All I can figure is because the soap had no fragrances.

I buy the goop hand cleaner in the tub. It's a pain to use but it works better than anything else. If you mix 1/2 cup of baking soda it will liquify and you can put it in a pump or squirt bottle.

Wash your car or truck early in the morning after a heavy dew. The moisture during the night will soften the dirt and stains and it will come clean easier.

An oldie but biggie that I learned a long time ago dealing with dairymen that works in just about any situation... Change "you" to "we".
Example: "You need to get this ration figured out."... He nuts up and it's a finger pointing competition.
"We need to get this ration figured out."... He fixes the ration and considers you a strong team member.
I still get this one wrong but when I remember to use it it works.

You can't bs a bs'er
Don't buy a 2wd
Green broke means we got a saddle on him a couple times
Shirts with only one pocket will make for a miserable day
Don't pi$$ on the ground in flip flops, instead aim for the top of the tire or something so not to splatter
I'll quit on that
Edit
One more
Mezcal will cause you to do things you wouldn't dream of otherwise

More than 30 years ago my boss at the time told me "Don't ever come to your boss with a problem without offering him at least one possible solution ." That's some of the best advice I ever got.

Wool socks are good for summer time too
Don't give your phone number to women on FB no matter how good looking they are
Don't text your boss while you're drinking
Don't eat conveince store pizza
Life is a marathon not a sprint, pace yourself
Have fun while you can or you'll regret it later when you can't
Early to bed early to rise makes a man healthy wealthy and wise is bs. Early to rise and go till you pass out
People don't care about you but rather what you do for them
Good fitting boots are hard to find
iPhones are great for everything but making a call
Rain makes everything good
Drought will rob you of hope and kill your will to keep going
Everybody wants to be a part of the fun but when the work starts they disappear
When things get tough you'll look up and your all alone except for the vultures circling to take what's left after you're gone
Women don't love you they love the image or the life and when it's gone so are they

I learned that although they weren;t originals of my dads, 2 quotes he used are very true.
He was a recovered alchiholic as am I. "First the man takes a drink, then the drink takes a drink, then the drink takes the man"
"A man is like a piece of steel, once he loses his temper he;s no dam good"

Honor is like jam, the less of it you have the more you smear it around. (My grandmother)
Don't go to school too long or you'll miss out on your educations (and old fellow who's a good friend of mine)

My Dad told me when I was a kid there will come a day when you have a wheel barrow full of money and someone will knock you in the head and take your wheel barrow..

Did not understand then. I think I do now.

dun":28bk06va said:
I learned that although they weren;t originals of my dads, 2 quotes he used are very true.
He was a recovered alchiholic as am I. "First the man takes a drink, then the drink takes a drink, then the drink takes the man"
"A man is like a piece of steel, once he loses his temper he;s no dam good"

Both quotes are very true Dun. The second one rings true with me though. I hate myself after I blow up at my kids. We are all a work in progress.

Things are never as good or as bad as they seem. Mom
The world is not full of strangers, just friends you have not met yet. Dad
How can we expect God to forgive us if we cannot forgive each other. Me, but from the Bible.

Latest posts