Share in a bull, Heifer, steer.

Help Support CattleToday:

ranchwabble

Reaction score
We are on 160 acres and we oly have a few heifers right now. I have a freind that would go in on a percentage of a bull, hiefer or steer. How does this work? If we split the perchase cost then how do we divide the cost for everything else? How does everything get paid out in the end?

Bret
:help:

I can't really answer your question other than I don't really like the shares thing. If I can't just own my own cattle I don't want no other way. That way when I mess up or make a big mistake I only answer to myself.

No I haven't gone in shares with a beast. Even though a good friend of hubby's wanted to.

What we have done now is known a good friend for a couple of years. He is a good person and will come and help at whatever we are doing no questions asked if we have asked and if we haven't.

What we have done recently is not swapped ownership of bulls, but swapped bulls for the genetics. Us not wanting to put our bull over his own daughters.

Now our fingers are crossed that he and us get a bull from our purebreds each. We can do the same thing again, however, if we only get heifers I would be willing to go halves with a bull with him. He is a year behind us, so the bull could come here first and then go to him. I wouldn't mind.

A friend of mine purchased half interest in a bull and what they do is he keeps the bull for six months out of the year and his partner gets it for the other six months. They collect semen and they split the income from this but they get to use all they want to on their personal herds. Don't know how you'd do a heifer or a steer. If it was a very good friend who might help me out from time to time I'd just let him buy a calf and keep it on my place and with hopes that his contribution in work would pay for whatever grass and mineral the calf consumed. But I'd also keep in mind most times when you add a person you add a problem.

I kinda sorta partnered on a bull not really
my banker was leasing bulls from me and we got to talking since he runs spring bred cows and I run fall calvers that he wuld buy a bull and I would use him in the fall and I would let him use one of mine for his breeding season kept me from buying another bull and kept him from having to buy another bull we have done this for a couple yrs and it has worked out fine

he is responsible for his bull and I am responsible for my bull

In planning to Share the so many things have to be right for it to work out. The most important os that is with someone you trust. In general I'm not talking about starting a business, just a good old fashion co-op with people of simular interest. Then communicate with each other: How many head? For eatting or selling? What are the land needs, barn,fencing, hay, equipment?
Good luck!!
I have been co-oping for several years now and everything has gone well. I have learned that people do things differently, and at their own pace, just enjoy having the cows like they were your own

Latest posts