Shameless plug

Help Support CattleToday:

dun

Reaction score
I descovered a device for tightening fence that is just slicker then snot. Jakes wire tighteners. So far I've used them on barbed, field fencing (one per strand), 12 ga hitensile, and nonbarbed barb that we use for tensioning the wire used to floating braces. They cost about half a buck a piece and actually work.

http://www.dbagriscape.com/

dun

I really like being able to go back later and just give it another twist and retighten the wire. I was concerned about the tight wrap on high tensile but I used a couple of them in 300 ft of wire and no problems.
And now I don't have to make that first stretch near as tight and hope that it holds while I tie it off. I still make it pretty tight, then just pop one of these little jewels on it to take up that last little bit.

dun

D.R. Cattle":2ezebog3 said:
I saw those in a catalog a while back and considered using them, but I managed with my stretcher for the time being. Thanks for the review.

Thanks for sharing this. We lease a lot of land and tend to run electric wire when major sections of fence need to be replaced or patched. That way I can take my fence with me when I loose the lease. (A lot of the land in my area keeps selling and getting developed.) This would be great to retighten the wire. Seems that my wire always stretches over time.

Now that does look slick. The guy that invented those deserves every penny he gets. Thanks for posting this.

Craig-TX

Yup.
BTW, I found that 60 year old rusty/brittle barbed will only take about 1 turn before it breaks. That's the only thing I have a problem with.

dun

Campground Cattle":3naj5ylu said:
Dun forgot to ask did you get yours through Valley Vet.

I totally agree Dun, we bought a bag the other day and my son and I were amazed how easy they worked. I told my son I only wished we would have invented them first. We bought ours at our local lumber company.

A little more experience.
17 ga high tensile wire tends to be rather brittle and breaks if it has a sharp bend or kink and is pulled very tight.
Yesterday I use these tighteners to tighten several 200-300 yd runs of 17 ga. Pulled it tight and it didn't break at the tighteneers like I had expected(feared) it would.
The more I use them the more I like them and wish I would have discovered them years ago.

dun

You have to have that tool I guess. I tried using a rasp with no handle to turn it. It bent all to hell. I'll order the tool today.

After you see the tool you could fabricate one yourself, but the one from the company isn't all that pricey considering it should last a lifetime. When you put the first couple on take your time and insure the wire doesn't ride up onto the tool. That puts sharp bend almost a kink in the wire. Once you get the hang of it they really go on quickly.

dun

smitty":1keibhib said:
You have to have that tool I guess. I tried using a rasp with no handle to turn it. It bent all to hell. I'll order the tool today.

I just rebuilt a corner , that my Bull was going thru.
Boy howdy , these little chingasos are really nice. It makes fencing fun! :lol: :lol: I know what your thinking , check that man's temp. 8)

I wish I came up with them first. The only drawback I found was if you put to much of a bind on it ( New Wire) The piece gets bent and you can't get your tool out.
If you could put a little spacer in there to keep the unit from collapsing??

Works good on electric fence also :lol: :lol:

First time I have seen them. I use a common fence strainer - and simply tighten the fence with a 9/16 wrench.

For those of you who do electric - I NEVER use that darned hi tensile wire. It's a pain in the butt - it has a memory and tends to spring back or kink up when there is a little slack.

It also is expensive.

I use braided aircraft cable - I buy it in 25,000 foot lots and pay about 325 Canuckleheaded bucks for each order. So, that is probably around 240 U.S dollars. It is stronger than hi tensile, carries an excellent electric charge and is so flexible that it tends to be like a rope - no spring back, no kinking, etc - my two teenaged daughters do all the fencing on this place.

I think the wire has 6 strands braided into it.

Too bad I do not have a digital camera - I'd take some pics for you.

We put up 30,000 feet of wire last year and my wife simply walked it off the roll - dragged it behind her - longest pull was somewhere around 1/2 mile. It's pretty easy to handle.

Any time the wire looks loose I just send one of the girls out with a wrench to tighten it - takes all of 30 seconds and she's finished. Usually has to be tightened once every year or so.

Regards

Bez

Bez":18htl1f2 said:
I NEVER use that darned hi tensile wire.
Bez, I don't have any trouble believing that you never use it!
my two teenaged daughters do all the fencing on this place.
my wife simply walked it off the roll - dragged it behind her
Any time the wire looks loose I just send one of the girls out

What do you do around there?

Well, I do a little bit of supervising - a little beer drinking and .... oh yeah - once in a while I let the girls vaccinate the cattle for me!

Most of the time I am pounding the roads making a few bucks to keep this place out of the cross hairs of the banks.

:cboy:

We buy this stuff from an outfit called Darnell Nuhn in Canada. They are located somewhere near London, Ontario. There is also an outfit in north west Alberta that supplies this wire - have used them before and they are very good as well - can't remember their name at the moment.

Darnell gets it from the U.S. of A. Not sure where - but if you folks want to start the run down - I am sure he would no mind me posting his business number and email. It is after all a commercial venture. They treated us real good and I am fairly certain he would put you in contact with his supplier out of the U.S. of A.

519 393 5770
[email protected]

I do know it is hard to come by at the moment. Be that as it may I am sure there is still some in Alberta. You guys start the search - I still have a bunch in the shop. But I'll need it next spring so it's not for sale.

He also has this same wire with a plastic coating - for those who want to use it for horses. I have a bunch of that left over, but would rather just used the plain stuff for horses - they get bit with the fencer only once. After that they will not even step over the wire if it is powered off and laying on the ground.

"Girls, oh girls .... Dad wants a beer now. Oh, can you put on some C&W for me to listen to? Thanks sweetie!" ........

Regards

Bez

Latest posts