Shameless plug

Help Support CattleToday:

After 26 years of wedded bliss - they wait on me hand and foot - I kid you not.

No matter what time I get up - wife irons me a fresh shirt and pants, makes me breakfast and packs me a lunch, buys my smokes for me - yeah, I have that habit - only person in the house - she makes sure the truck is gassed up and even starts it for me when the weather is cold. That's just in the morning.

Get home and the kids have supper on for me, with a fresh cup of tea waiting, mail stacked and sorted. Mom and I sit at the table after supper and shoot the breeze while kids clean up and go do their home work.

Wife drives the youngest to figure skating and oldest drives herself to play hockey - they do not want to bother me after a long day.

Chores are always done by the time I get home and all I have to do is park the truck, walk in, clean up and eat. Through the week I usually only do one or two inspections of the yard and cattle areas.

At around 2000 hours if we are all home, the kids fix me and mom a drink so we can hash over the next days work.

Kids are running straight A's and both are looking at sports scholarships. They are pretty good hands around cattle and know a bit about ropin' and shootin'. They are braeking a couple of horses and I figure they will have them trail ready within the next month or so.

Once in a while I have to raise my voice, but that is just to be heard over the noise when some boy comes sniffing around in his fancy car with a boom box running at about half volume. I usually fix that by telling them I'll put a bullet hole in the speakers if it ever happens again. Funny how that tends to scare them off. Only the farm boys seem to keep coming back - can't complain about that too much.

The last guy who came from the city had a nose ring, several ear rings and something stuck to his tongue. Told him I could pull it with some pliers if he held still long enough - he didn't have much to say - oldest girl ran him off anyways. He didn't like guns and oldest girl was in process of shooting something when he showed up last time - I think he was here for almost 2 minutes. :D

Yup, I got it pretty good here.

Bez

Bez, when the girls get ready to marry off, you probably need to make room for the new son-in-laws to move in! Sounds like those girls are too good to give up without a fight! :)

I agree with Muldoon. I have two bags of the buggers and the tool. The first time I used them I bent a number of the gizmos and almost left to tool hanging on the fence, it took me quite a while to fugure out how to use the darn things and the tool - I guess I am getting too old. Haven't used them since, but if Dun can figure it , I should be able too? :help:

Billy :cboy:

MrBilly":2oztbcaw said:
I agree with Muldoon. I have two bags of the buggers and the tool. The first time I used them I bent a number of the gizmos and almost left to tool hanging on the fence, it took me quite a while to fugure out how to use the darn things and the tool - I guess I am getting too old. Haven't used them since, but if Dun can figure it , I should be able too? :help:

Billy :cboy:

Just goes to show that you can teach old dogs new tricks.

If you have a bunch of them you don't want ship to me. I'll gladly make good use of them

dun

Bez":2kvtr73w said:
After 26 years of wedded bliss - they wait on me hand and foot - I kid you not......Yup, I got it pretty good here.

Bez

What do you do for them?

I spoke too soon about having some difficult with Jake's wire tighteners. :oops:

After really trying to understand how to use these little critters, they really do work and now I love them. I figured if Dun liked them, then they must be good, and I just need to get them out again and give them a try. Go Jake. I would like to see the tool for turning them adaptable to a brace - might work better? I will be ordering several more bags of those little tighteners.

Billy

:cboy:

We built some brand new fencing this summer and came up with one heck of a good idea that stretched the wires so tight you could climb on them like panels.

We used the block & tackle and the pickup truck! talk about a tight fence. We stretched the first two so tight we broke new wire... if you do that it's spose to take the stretch out of and your not spose to have to stretch it ever again. Heck of alot easier than using a golden rod stretcher.

I alwasy had trouble getting the wire secured to the last post tight enough that it wouldn't slip a little bit and not be as tight as I would like. Now I just get it as tight as it willingly wants to be, then throw a Jakes on it and half a turn sometimes 1 full turn and it's tight. In the desert we would string it so tight that it would ring. Like an idiot, I did the same thing with a new fence here. Zero degrees and the wire started breaking. Old dog and new trick, I don't string it nearly as tight as I used to.

dun

You guys don't want to let this one lie down - do ya? :D

Well, I could say that I grace them with my presence and that I let my wife have access to my bank account ... but I would probably get a talking to if the girls saw this on the board!

Well, I drive the kids where ever they want to go - now my oldest has her license it helps.

When my oldest wrecked the car last summer all I asked "Is everybody ok?" Never cussed, lectured or grounded her - she learned an expensive lesson at the cheapest price possible. Everyone walked away unscratched.

I seldom if ever raise my voice - however I have to admit my language is not always the best - but the girls let me know - right quick - that I need to mind my mouth.

I always remember birthdays and anniversaries. I seldom miss my oldest girls hockey games and always support her tournaments. I attend almost all of my youngest girls figure skating competitions. I never miss parent teacher nights. I am always the guy who picks up their friends and delivers them home after parties.

I listen to them. I do not always do as they ask - but I am a calm guy who helps whenever I can.

They need help with homework or a project - I am the man. There is a school function that needs a truck and trailer - I am the man.

I have all the bad habits - drink, smoke and swear when I shouldn't. But when push comes to shove it's always me that answers the calls from the family and neighbours. Even when I do not want to. This is because someone has to do this.

Last month we killed an extra cow and delivered it to some of the folks in the area that are harder up than us. It was an expense I did not need, but my youngest noticed that one kid on her bus was not bringing a lunch to school - so we fixed that.

You know guys as I write it sounds like I am a true braggart - but everything you have read is me. I have a pile of faults - but I live by the "do right - even when no one is looking" philosophy. 'Bought the only thing I do not do is drink and drive - one beer and I ground myself - that's the rule.

Finally the old girl reminds me that I give her back rubs on demand.

My last comments on this topic - I tell all the women in this house - every day - when I first see them in the morning - and just before they go to bed that I love them dearly and that I am blessed to be their dad / husband. I never miss on this one.

I am beginning to blush. An improper thing for a guy my age and size. No more from me on this topic.

Best to all,

Bez