Sexing Semen

Help Support CattleToday:

Beefy

Reaction score
Ellie Mae reminded me of a paper i wrote in college about sexing semen in beef cattle. I thought i'd see you what you folks think about the subject. If youve never heard of it, the link below will take you to some semen sexing frequently asked questions.

http://www.sexingtechnologies.com/pages/FAQ.mgml

I know this topic is a little old, but, I think that there are many advantages to sexing semen. I personally think that it can better the genetics of cattle breeds.

ffa dad":five1omw said:
I know this topic is a little old, but, I think that there are many advantages to sexing semen. I personally think that it can better the genetics of cattle breeds.

Ok I'll bite. I wouldn't mind having sexed semen on certain bulls. I am expanding my registered herd and do not buy outside genetics except through a nitrogen tank. It would be great to have my Reg herd have nothing but heifers and my commercial herd have nothing but steers.

Tod

ffa dad":2i9qh8sp said:

How would sexing semen improve genetics?

dun

dun":6mjh7wh8 said:
ffa dad":6mjh7wh8 said:

dun

The only way that it could help in that area would be generational turn around. Every time a heifer has a bull calf the turn around is delayed by a year. If I could get nothing but heifers out of my best cows and heifers, I could rid my herd of some lesser quality cows rather quickly.

Tod Dague":1850yn41 said:
It would be great to have my Reg herd have nothing but heifers and my commercial herd have nothing but steers.

Tod

I agree here Tod. But can you let me in on the secret on getting your comercial herd have steers? All I get is bulls!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

certherfbeef":3smkmlh6 said:
Tod Dague":3smkmlh6 said:
It would be great to have my Reg herd have nothing but heifers and my commercial herd have nothing but steers.

Tod

I agree here Tod. But can you let me in on the secret on getting your comercial herd have steers? All I get is bulls!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

It takes good palpation gloves and a tiny band. 8)

Tod Dague":2ksomas5 said:
dun":2ksomas5 said:
ffa dad":2ksomas5 said:

dun

The only way that it could help in that area would be generational turn around. Every time a heifer has a bull calf the turn around is delayed by a year. If I could get nothing but heifers out of my best cows and heifers, I could rid my herd of some lesser quality cows rather quickly.

I had originally thought the same way. But it seems to be too easy and too pat.
I don't disagree, just have problems with too easy of answers to complex problems.

dun

Dun I believe Tod is right. The genetic interval is one of, possibly the biggest , hinderence to genetic improvement.

ollie":2udtufb1 said:
Dun I believe Tod is right. The genetic interval is one of, possibly the biggest , hinderence to genetic improvement.

Don't disagree, just don't believe in that simple of a solution to that complex of a situation.
But flushing and sexing embryos would be quicker, or even cloning.

dun

Latest posts