Sexed Semen

Help Support CattleToday:

calbeef":2jsouhfs said:
What I mean is this, my vet has continually inserted 2 straws per AI with sexed semen. My conception rate dropped with 1 straw on sexed, which is money, better to spend 2 straws at a time that a vet at your place 2 times and a missing a cycle.
Your kidding right? There is absolutely no reason for two straws. If you have to do that you are spending far more money than the final product is worth. You'd be much better off just sticking with conventional and keeping all that extra money in your pocket. I would also look for a new vet. It's bad enough that someone would inseminate with two straws on their own but to hear of a professional doing the same practice is unbelievable.

novaman":110auso7 said:
calbeef":110auso7 said:
What I mean is this, my vet has continually inserted 2 straws per AI with sexed semen. My conception rate dropped with 1 straw on sexed, which is money, better to spend 2 straws at a time that a vet at your place 2 times and a missing a cycle.
Your kidding right? There is absolutely no reason for two straws. If you have to do that you are spending far more money than the final product is worth. You'd be much better off just sticking with conventional and keeping all that extra money in your pocket. I would also look for a new vet. It's bad enough that someone would inseminate with two straws on their own but to hear of a professional doing the same practice is unbelievable.
With there being only 1 mil/straw & studs admitedly report low conception rates, sometimes the potential increased conception, & time saved/loss is worth it.
Like I said, I'm not willing to do anything that will lower our conception rate. We have 60 days to get them bred, and I don't want a cow messed up because of management. I can always use some bulls - the steers are a great CASH CROP!

Jeanne - Simme Valley":2ecmaa36 said:
novaman":2ecmaa36 said:
calbeef":2ecmaa36 said:
With there being only 1 mil/straw & studs admitedly report low conception rates, sometimes the potential increased conception, & time saved/loss is worth it.
Like I said, I'm not willing to do anything that will lower our conception rate. We have 60 days to get them bred, and I don't want a cow messed up because of management. I can always use some bulls - the steers are a great CASH CROP!
I believe the sexed semen I get through Select Sires has 2 mil per straw but I understand what you were getting at. Yes the conception rates are lower, that has been admitted right from the get go. It shouldn't be a shock to anyone when they don't get the conception rates they had been prior to using sexed semen. I just don't see how anyone could justify buying two straws of sexed to inseminate one time. It is borderline cost effect when using one straw at a time. Two straws puts the cost effectiveness over the top no question. And lets keep in the mind that conventional semen still yields roughly 50% of the sex you are after anyway. It isn't like you need to use sexed to get either heifers or bulls. I think some people are so hung up on the idea that they can get mostly heifers or mostly bulls that they don't use their head and/or calculators.

And lets keep in the mind that conventional semen still yields roughly 50% of the sex you are after anyway. It isn't like you need to use sexed to get either heifers or bulls. I think some people are so hung up on the idea that they can get mostly heifers or mostly bulls that they don't use their head and/or calculators.
Absolutely CORRECT!! Like I said, steers are an easy cash flow. I make my $$ profit from heifers, but you don't just say "Ok, I want to sell 15 heifers for $2000-$4000 next week." Ain't going to happen! no matter what kind of reputation I have. Those sales come by bits & pieces thru-out the year and of course at a consignment sale. With steers, I know every fall I have an income from feeders & around July get a check for the retained ownership steers. Guaranteed income.
Granted, the more heifers we get, the better chance of national quality top females we could have to sell, but, I get enough for the sales we can muster up.

It seems to me I was told by one of the bigger ET outfits that they had a process for sexing frozen semen to be used in embryo transfer. I am not sure if it had to be used in-vitro or not.

alexfarms":1gfaadpx said:
It seems to me I was told by one of the bigger ET outfits that they had a process for sexing frozen semen to be used in embryo transfer. I am not sure if it had to be used in-vitro or not.
Well, I know that ET companies can sex the EMBRYO before putting them in a recip.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":1433ko4f said:
alexfarms":1433ko4f said:
Well, I know that ET companies can sex the EMBRYO before putting them in a recip.

We transfered 2,300 sexed in-vitro embryos during 2008. The pregnacy rate was 40%.
You inseminate the oocytes 24 hours after they are collected with sexed semen, seven days later you transfer them into the recips.

Cheers

Lorenzo

Lorenzo":3b8iehgl said:
Jeanne - Simme Valley":3b8iehgl said:
alexfarms":3b8iehgl said:

We transfered 2,300 sexed in-vitro embryos during 2008. The pregnacy rate was 40%.
You inseminate the oocytes 24 hours after they are collected with sexed semen, seven days later you transfer them into the recips.

Cheers

Lorenzo

We implanted frozen, actually sexed, embryos (not from sexed semen) and conception was 65%. Only heifers took and the couple of 2nd calvers that we did , came up open. There is more of a demend for sexed semen in the dairy industry than the beef industry.

We implanted frozen, actually sexed, embryos (not from sexed semen) and conception was 65%. Only heifers took and the couple of 2nd calvers that we did , came up open. There is more of a demend for sexed semen in the dairy industry than the beef industry.[/quote]

You sexed them by PCR ??
Due to the conception rate I suppose those where MOET embryos, I am wright ?
The sex accuracy was around 92% if i remember well.

I am planning to advance more in the use of sexed semen, I think it will be a great tool for herd management.

L

Lorenzo":13mgrs91 said:
We implanted frozen, actually sexed, embryos (not from sexed semen) and conception was 65%. Only heifers took and the couple of 2nd calvers that we did , came up open. There is more of a demend for sexed semen in the dairy industry than the beef industry.

You sexed them by PCR ??
Due to the conception rate I suppose those where MOET embryos, I am wright ?
The sex accuracy was around 92% if i remember well.

I am planning to advance more in the use of sexed semen, I think it will be a great tool for herd management.

L[/quote]

I think that is right Lorenzo, we had them flushed right at the embryo group, they were sexed and then frozen by the embryologist, we implanted in the spring. Next time we will sex and then implant fresh as freezing them really decreases the conception rate even more, especially after you manipulate them. I am just amazed at all of the advancements made with IVF, flushing and Et's , especially being able to collect oocytes from bred cattle and them IVF them and implant them. I wish I had unlimited resources to play with it more but it is really costly still.

Your facilities are a place I would love to visit one day . :)

Hey HD, any idea what it costs to do an ET? I've never done it, been around it, or learned much about it. It does fascinate me though. I think it would be really neat to get a herd moving up in the genetic department through such things. I started AIing a couple years ago and it seems like I just want to keep advancing things as much as possible. It's almost addicting to see how fast I can up production and the like.

HD,

Thanks, It will be a pleasure to receive you here someday. The doors of my small company are open to everybody.

Cheers
L

Latest posts