sex link chicks?

Help Support CattleToday:

auctionboy

Reaction score
I have a friend that has rhode island red hens, is there any rooster he can get that would make the male and female chicks different color or any other easy determined trait?

Rhode Island Red crossed with a Rhode Island White will result in a red sexed link. Males come out white and Females red. I've never tried it so don't quote me. Just what I've heard.

novaman":2bcehrhm said:
Rhode Island Red crossed with a Rhode Island White will result in a red sexed link. Males come out white and Females red. I've never tried it so don't quote me. Just what I've heard.

I have about 100 hens of this cross in the coop right now. They certainly are (brown) egg-laying machines; probably on par with the Leghorn (white eggs) in terms of production.

--Marc

novaman":1firy3xu said:
Are you sure that it isn;t a white Plymouth Rock (aka White Rock)? Never heard of a Rhode Island White

dun":1cwvk4k3 said:
novaman":1cwvk4k3 said:
Are you sure that it isn;t a white Plymouth Rock (aka White Rock)? Never heard of a Rhode Island White

Note this site: http://www.albc-usa.org/cpl/rhodewhite.html

--Marc

i think a barred rock rooster would provide the sex link with those hens. however, check some of the poultry website's like ideal or mcmurray to be sure.

F350":g2g9rr3j said:
i think a barred rock rooster would provide the sex link with those hens. however, check some of the poultry website's like ideal or mcmurray to be sure.

A Barred Rock rooster on a Rhode Island Red hen will produce a black sex-link. Resulting females will be black with an orange/mahogany chest while the males will look like a Barred Rock with fuzzy bars (when compared to a Barred Rock).

Because the Barred Rock is a heavy bird the black sex-link F1 offspring will also be a heavier bird. Whereas the red sex-link (created with a Rhode Island White rooster on a Rhode Island Red hen) will result in a lighter bird that is similar to the White Leghorn in weight and production (eggs per pound of feed fed).

Eggs to ya! :)

--Marc

From Ideal Poultry

Black Sex Links are a breed cross using Rhode Island Red males and Barred Plymouth Rock females.
Brown Sex Links are a breed cross using Rhode Island Red males and silver factor White Rock females.
Gold Sex Links are a breed cross using Rhode Island Red males and Rhode Island White females.
Red Sex Links are a breed cross using Rhode Island Red males and Delaware females.

brandonm_13 said:
From Ideal Poultry

Black Sex Links are a breed cross using Rhode Island Red males and Barred Plymouth Rock females.
Brown Sex Links are a breed cross using Rhode Island Red males and silver factor White Rock females.
Gold Sex Links are a breed cross using Rhode Island Red males and Rhode Island White females.
Red Sex Links are a breed cross using Rhode Island Red males and Delaware females. quote]

http://feathersite.com/Poultry/BRKPoultryPage.html

Lots of pics and info. There's an article there about color and feather sexable chicks, can't find it but it's there just ask the site owner.

Valerie

vclavin":3jer8l58 said:
brandonm_13":3jer8l58 said:
From Ideal Poultry

Red Sex Links are a breed cross using Rhode Island Red males and Delaware females.these are also known as Cinnamon Queens

http://feathersite.com/Poultry/BRKPoultryPage.html

Lots of pics and info. There's an article there about color and feather sexable chicks, can't find it but it's there just ask the site owner.

Valerie
found my article
http://feathersite.com/Poultry/CGP/Sex- ... ml#GSLChik
Valerie

Latest posts