Sewing Machines

Help Support CattleToday:

Farmhand":2b1palg4 said:
I prefer singer myself. The one thing I insist on is a heavy duty machine as I am always mending jeans or lined overalls. I look for industrial versions and stay away from commercial versions. Mine was built for home ec classes in high schools. They are built to take alot of abuse.
What model do you use?

I honestly can't tell you what model it is. Looked at my machine and all it says is Singer and electronic control and a serial number. The book wasn't anymore help either. I remember the salesman saying my machine was built to be sold to schools for their home economics classes and these were surplus. I remember thinking all this could be a hoax because the guy was set up at the local motel. I have also seen them set up at other odd locations. What sold me was I actually got to try sewing heavy material before I bought. Haven't been sorry. That would be my advice - take a sample of the heaviest material you want to work with and try it before you buy it.

Ollie, I realize surprizes are wonderful..... but..... unless you have a family member who would go with your wife to get the name and model number of what she likes, it would be hard to pick one out for her.

Its kind of like her picking out a tractor for you (some women can yes, but most women wouldn't know what kind to get).

Singer, Pfaff, or Bernina are all good machines, just depends on what options your wife wants on it.

MoGal":3dvanqby said:
Ollie, I realize surprizes are wonderful..... but..... unless you have a family member who would go with your wife to get the name and model number of what she likes, it would be hard to pick one out for her.

Its kind of like her picking out a tractor for you (some women can yes, but most women wouldn't know what kind to get).

Singer, Pfaff, or Bernina are all good machines, just depends on what options your wife wants on it.
My wife wants a good one. That is why she asked me what ya'll liked.

ollie'":5fzkx55e said:
I'm starting to not believe you. I think you really want it for yourself, don't you? Sissy.

Texan":dl5pq9kk said:
ollie'":dl5pq9kk said:
I'm starting to not believe you. I think you really want it for yourself, don't you? Sissy.
I really need a long free arm for prolapses.

Husqvarna/Viking make excellent machines, and I have both computerized and mechanical machines. There is a world of difference in what they can do, and it all depends on what she wants in the machine. If you want fancy stitches and embroidery, the Designer 1 or 2 would be great. Pricey, but great. If you just want a dependable machine with a few stitches, go with their high end mechanical machines.

And just before you wonder why I know a bit about machines, I am a quilter who even has a treadle in my collection of 7 machines...

lol Vicky.. you sound like my mom, she cannot resist looking at sewing machines at auctions, yard sales, etc... and has several machines BUT she always goes back to her old faithful Singer that she bought in 1956.

She bought a Bernina 180E which is a really nice machine but the computer part of it has been such a challenge for her (she had mitral valve replacement and its given her some memory loss).

I have a Singer Touch and Sew, model 766 (just like I had in home ec class in the late 70's) and of course mom gave me her Bernina.

Latest posts