Severe winter weather in Va.

Help Support CattleToday:

farmerjan

Reaction score
Well, we got hit here in Va with some of the worst weather in a long time... Cold is okay, it is January which is winter.... snow is okay too, again for the same reasons... but this cold miserable punishing wind on top of 13 degree temps and snow and sleet is just a little bit too much. Started out as snow, wind blowing in the 10-15 mph.... and the cold cold 16 degree temps that we have not seen in awhile... just kept blowing and it was terrible to be out in it for even a few minutes... changed to some sleet/freezing rain and temps dropped to 13 here... and the sleet blowing so hard made it worse. Supposed to blow through tonight and be in the low 30's tomorrow...
Really hard on the animals... we have some new calves and hope they found a spot on the leeward side of the round bales and can survive it... the cows will feel it too with this wind and being wet from the sleet....
More sleet and rain to the east with temps in the low 20's.... not good for them either...
Hey @skyhightree1 ... what's it doing over your way?

I live in the Western tip. We dodged most of it so far, we have had some flurries and rain but nothing on the ground yet. It has been cold all day, but mostly in the low/mid 30s. Wet cold rainy weather is really hard on animals as I hope your weather improves.

At 4PM it was still just 19 here and snowing. About the same when I fed this morning. By 8PM it had stopped and temp around 28. 4 or 5 inches.
Fed cows and calves near cedars or pines for weather break.

32 here now and as jltrent said hardly nothing. My cows are still on grass but I set out a few rolls in another paddock just in case. Will unroll it when it's needed.

We have about 8 inches on the ground but it has blown and drifted pretty bad so not really sure how much. The sleet has stopped and a little more snow but that is passing. It will be a messy cleanup. The temps is actually UP to 19 now....The wind is still blowing pretty good. Dreading going out tomorrow to check on cattle... many places I will have to depend on DS to get into and all, since my 4x4 ranger is out of commission right now. He fed a bunch of hay yesterday and was feeding some this morning as soon as he got off work at 8 a.m. before it started to do anything here.

Can't believe that you guys got very little down in the southwest tip. A friend of mine down on the eastern shore got over 2 inches of rain with some gusts of wind up to 60 mph at the weather station near her.... she said it was a cold wet soggy mess feeding her goats... luckily they aren't due to kid for another month. She was laughing because they won't come out of the barn when it is raining...

We haven't had a night time temperature above freezing in a month and a half. Only a hand full of day time temps about that level. A few new calves showing up ahead of schedule. All are fine.

Glad the wind has died down....can't imagine how cold it would feel if it was blowing 25 - 35 like it did here. Blew for about 40 hours like that.

Well, we got hit here in Va with some of the worst weather in a long time... Cold is okay, it is January which is winter.... snow is okay too, again for the same reasons... but this cold miserable punishing wind on top of 13 degree temps and snow and sleet is just a little bit too much. Started out as snow, wind blowing in the 10-15 mph.... and the cold cold 16 degree temps that we have not seen in awhile... just kept blowing and it was terrible to be out in it for even a few minutes... changed to some sleet/freezing rain and temps dropped to 13 here... and the sleet blowing so hard made it worse. Supposed to blow through tonight and be in the low 30's tomorrow...
Really hard on the animals... we have some new calves and hope they found a spot on the leeward side of the round bales and can survive it... the cows will feel it too with this wind and being wet from the sleet....
More sleet and rain to the east with temps in the low 20's.... not good for them either...
Hey @skyhightree1 ... what's it doing over your way?
Nothing here at all the rain wiped it all away. How much did you get left with?

As usual here, cold rain..ill take dry cold any day..but all we get is miserable cold rains..

We got around 8-10 inches. I think that the "official" total in Greenville is 9 inches. With the wind blowing like it did there was no way to really measure it. Got some sleet and freezing rain, could hear it hitting the windows and such. It was downright nasty and the wind was relentless.
It is partly sun/clouds now and the wind is still miserable. Blowing in 20-30 mph and higher gusts. Although the thermometer says 35 it sure doesn't feel like it. Supposed to blow all day... tomorrow up into the low 40's maybe. It is just miserably cold and nasty out there.

Another blast of winter.... It was 64 yesterday, shipped cattle in anticipation of this forecast... started raining overnight and was 48... temps kept dropping and it started snowing at about 4-5 a.m. It was 28 at 8 and we had about 1 1/2 inches of snow on top of the rain soaked ground. It was a little breezy but not bad. Kept snowing and got windier.. wound up with about 3 inches; and the temps have continued to drop with wind chills way down due to the blasts of cold wind whipping through. Stopped about 1 and then cloudy til late and some sun peeking through. It is about 7 p.m., the temps are down to 18 and the wind keeps gusting out there. I cleaned off the car in anticipation of going to work tomorrow morning... snow was beginning to crust on top with wet soggy snow underneath. I wanted to get the windshield clean and the wipers out so they would not be stuck. Thought it would blow me away with a few of the gusts.... Tomorrow supposed to be up in the 40's then back to 50's and 60's next week.

Latest posts