Several Questions about a Heifer 7-9 Months

Help Support CattleToday:

shawn_boroviak

Reaction score
I recently bought a rough heifer from the stock sales that I have taken a risk on. As a new cattle farmer, I have several questions on what to do in regards to getting her back to where she needs to be and the chances of her having a living, breathing calf. Being 7-9 months bred, are there any medications that you would/wouldn't give. We have got into a habit of feeding our cattle 14% beef mix, how much of that would you give? Lastly, her hips are exposed and so to are her ribs, what are the chances of her producing a living, breathing calf?

Maybe feed her about 15 lbs. a day if she is getting all the good quality grass she wants. I'd say fatten her up as fast as you can, you might get a good calf. I'm not an expert in this situation as most of mine are TOO fat. You have wormed her, I assume (I like Cydectin injectable). Be sure she has free choice minerals in addition to salt block. I don't think she needs any vaccinations til after she calves, talk to your vet about that. Good luck.

mjnetex":338r3tqc said:
Maybe feed her about 15 lbs. a day if she is getting all the good quality grass she wants. I'd say fatten her up as fast as you can, you might get a good calf. I'm not an expert in this situation as most of mine are TOO fat. You have wormed her, I assume (I like Cydectin injectable). Be sure she has free choice minerals in addition to salt block. I don't think she needs any vaccinations til after she calves, talk to your vet about that. Good luck.

might want to work up to that

Hips and ribs being visible doesn't mean she's emaciated --depending how 'much' they are exposed. Better to have one a little light Shawn than way over conditioned when it's time to calve.

I would worm her and feed her good but no too good. Pouring the feed to her can make the calf grow and you don't want a huge calf.

dun":97ebj836 said:
That's one of the better BCS articles and well illustrated. Last one I looked at was about beef cattle, but they used a Holstein for their pictures.
So--He's only got about 60 days to achieve a 5 or better--her last trimester has already begun if she's 7 months bred.
Moreover, an additional 100 pounds is typically gained during the last trimester of gestation for fetal growth and uterine development. Table 3 shows body condition scores and weight change recommendations for cows achieving a desired BCS of 5-7 90 to 100 days before calving. This is the critical time when the producer has the ability to put condition back on a 'thin' cow or restrict feed intake of a 'fat' cow.

Shawn has his work cut out for sure if the heifer is BCS much below 5. It doesn't mean she won't or can't have a live healthy calf, but it's going to hard on her and may be even tougher on her to produce enough milk and of course then there's breeding back problems if undernourished.

Well after several weeks of battling with her, I think we may be makings some improvement. She is still a far cry from where she needs to be and I am now seeing how big of a gamble I took with this one. I am new to this stuff and figured I could turn a little profit on this cow but she looked a lot better than she was for $440. She has been getting about 8 pounds of 14% beef mix along with salt and other minerals. Going further and getting closer to calving time, what can I do to boost her weight and get her close to calving ready?

Is she on good pasture/ grass or hay? Make sure it's the best you have and give it free choice along with clean water and keep giving her her grain mix. You can give her more of the grain mix too just make sure you separate it into multiple smaller meals. Adding 1-2 pounds of cracked corn will add weight to her faster along with all of the above. Using a dewormer that takes care of tapeworms and liver flukes is important also (Ivomec Plus, Valbazen etc). Make sure you have colostrum on hand for the calf just in case. Hope this helps.
Aprille

Latest posts