Several pics from Uruguay

Help Support CattleToday:

Lorenzo

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Just ended our National Show. The angus breed was judge by Jack Ward, the Herefords by Jack Holden and the jersey and Holsteins by Patrick Maddox. All of them from the States.

Before the Show Jack Ward and Jack Holden went to Kiyu farm. Here every year many hereford breeders donate some year old calfs. They spent all together only on grass and one year after, when they are two year old, they are judge and seen their performance every condition being equal, I repeat only grass and water. At the end of the year, an auction takes place and every bull is sold, so if the real owner want to keep his animal he must bid among the rest.

Pictures at the Uruguayan Hereford Assosciation farm KIYU.

prado3.jpg

prado1.jpg

prado2.jpg

prado4.jpg

prado7.jpg

prado5.jpg

Well, now at the show. The following pictures were taken before the Show, the ones from the jury I will post them later.

prado8.jpg

prado9.jpg

prado30.jpg

prado29.jpg

prado16.jpg

prado17.jpg

prado18.jpg

prado10.jpg

The field where the animals are judge..

prado11.jpg

Some horses

prado12.jpg

prado13.jpg

prado15.jpg

This red angus bull was finally chosen by Jack Ward as the Great Champion 2009.
The Champ name is "Conde". I took the pictures the day before the jury.

prado26.jpg

prado27.jpg

prado28.jpg

This bull belongs to the same breeder that won last year championship with the bull Capitán, do you remember him ?

capitan_1.jpg

One night with some breeders we made some "home made ice cream" at the ABS booth :lol:
We use some nitrogen, some cream, sugar, fruit pulp.....and whiskey !!!! :cboy:

prado20.jpg

prado21.jpg

prado22.jpg

prado23.jpg

prado24.jpg

prado25.jpg

Well, nothing more, I just hope not to have bored you too much with my pictures.

Bye
Lorenzo

You sure have some beautiful cattle, and the country looks great.....I would like to visit , to see for myself.

I think I'd have to pass on the ice cream, would probably just pass out from the smell!! hehe

but I gotta say, man that rear shot of that one bull looks like the hiney of a duroc boar!!! :lol2:

WHAT a BUTT!!!!

and I forgot to say, Thanks for sharing those Lorenzo!!

you have some really lovely livestock down there.... :tiphat:

Interesting how US Hereford breeders pick bulls with so much depth and muscle and not much regard for frame. I don't think the same men would judge them that way in this country.

SO did you get to visit with either of the Jacks. I was curious to know if many breeders over there have much of his genetic influence. holdens place is about an hour from here - i always enjoy a good visit with him.

I must admit that would be a great perk for getting involved in the hereford politics - I guess i'll have to do it on my own some day.

Great pics, enjoyed them and always like taking the opportunity to look at cattle. Do you have pictures of the breed champions? Would sure like to see more.

THANKS
capt

Great pics...you sure have to admire the thickness in the cattle that you pictured. I would love to see your show...and the cattle in person one day !
Thanks for sharing..

Jen

I would like to have the results on the two yr old grass bulls. That will tell as much about the cattle in the area as any thing else that I can think of.
Were there any rate of gain stats. on those grass fed bulls? What was the sale price on them?

S&WSigma40VEShooter":1y9im7lk said:
Good looking cattle all around. I dont like the nuts on the black angus or the red angus. They dont look right. Hang to low

Well there's an expert opinion if I ever heard one. :dunce: :tiphat:

Latest posts