Settling problem

Help Support CattleToday:

Supa Dexta

Reaction score
I have a 3 yr old cow, in good shape with a late May calf on her. I've seen the bull trailing her on:

June 30th (bull was after 4 or 5 cows that day though, and it was her first heat)
July 20th (ok well he's after her again, good he can concentrate on her this time)
Aug 10th (hey, wait a minute, what the hell is going on here)
And noticed him following her again today. (what the #$%$#!)

Last year she went from Apr 7th to May 31st, and in the odd chance she caught today, thats June 10th next yr. So she's slipping. And I don't get it. I've never actually seen her stand for a bull, but I've never sat around long enough to catch it either perhaps. She's always trying to run away when they go for the jump. Also this is the first heat that a 2nd smaller yearling bull is with her too, he tries to get a crack at her, but the big guy tries to keep him away, so not sure that will help.

I don't believe it to be the bull though, as I don't see others coming back in heat. I hate to accept that she's just a poor breeder, but I also hate seeing the bulls trailing her every 3 weeks too. She's a young healthy cow and I can let her slip a bit and hope she turns it around, as there are others that should be culled for more pressing issues ahead of her - but she'll be on the watch list for sure next year. She's already 3 months behind the first heat I witnessed. She was standing tail out one morning a couple heats ago, so I figured she got bred good that time, and then had bloody discharge a day or 2 later.

Thoughts, comments?

Got two that will be leaving when we wean the calves. Both calved early in the spring herd. Both cycled and were AI'ed once then went to the bulls - had at least 2, maybe three, cycles with them during the breeding season. Have seen both in heat at least a couple of times since we pulled the bulls. I'll palpate 'em before i send them to town... have had some that we saw the bull trailing after AI that calved to the AI service... but if they're open... they leave.
I'll sometimes bump a first-calf heifer from fall to spring group, or vice versa, but mature cows, no... unless there's something I've done to screw up the process - which is getting to be less and less of the time.

Of all the traits to select for...fertility may be the most important...but docility ain't far behind.

The bloddydischarge has nothing to do with being bred or not. It's just the result of her ovulating. Sometimes you see it sometimes you don;t

Latest posts