settlement

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

Hi. My pony Alvin, a 23 year old Appaloosa, just came back from a friend's house. I was boarding him because a pregnant mare needed consolance because her foal got weaned. He has been up there for a few months. Today he came back to my house and hasn't settled in very well. He seems alright now, but he will whinny ocassionaly. What should I do?

[email protected]

Hi! No offense, but I assume your 23 year old "pony" is an Appaloosa "Stallion" which is much larger than the smaller breeds called "ponies." That aside...lol,

If your stallion (or is he a gelding?) is at your place by himself without another horse, guess I assume he may be lonely. He probably got used to having the company of the pregnant mare at your neighbor's. If you don't have any other horses for him to be around, hopefully he will adjust to the mare's absence over time. Might want to spend more time with him otherwise.

Don't know if this helps any or not....

[email protected]

Racehorses use to be kept with goats for company. They were cheaper than another horse... If he doesn't settle down in a week or two look into getting a little sheep or goat friend. Good luck, Jake

[email protected]

> Hi! No offense, but I assume your
> 23 year old "pony" is an
> Appaloosa "Stallion"
> which is much larger than the
> smaller breeds called
> "ponies." That
> aside...lol,

> If your stallion (or is he a
> gelding?) is at your place by
> himself without another horse,
> guess I assume he may be lonely.
> He probably got used to having the
> company of the pregnant mare at
> your neighbor's. If you don't have
> any other horses for him to be
> around, hopefully he will adjust
> to the mare's absence over time.
> Might want to spend more time with
> him otherwise.

> Don't know if this helps any or
> not.... No Alvin is no stallion. He wouldn't be staying with a pregnant mare. And he is a Appaloosa pony. His previous owners say he is Appy nobody said he was POA. And yes he probably wondering why he got seperated. I don't think ponies(14.2hh or lower) are foals, if that's what you thought. And I am only 10, and I am DEFINETLY not expierienced enough to handle stallions. Jake Alvie does live with my family's goats, chickens. He is pretty ornery, but loves to be bossy around goats. We leave the goat paddock open so Alvin can be with them.

[email protected]

Try and spend some extra time with Alvin, Mar. If weather permits, give him some daily exercise to focus his mind and just to generally help him to feel better.

As you know, horses are herd animals, and now that Alvin has spent some time with another horse, he's going to have to take some time to get used to being by himself again. Other animals as companions will help, but he's not going to accept them into his "herd" immediately. You are Alvin's herd leader and he will do best with some extra attention from you. Don't spoil him - just help him out with a bit of work and attention, even if it's just a daily brushing and hoof picking.

> Hi. My pony Alvin, a 23 year old
> Appaloosa, just came back from a
> friend's house. I was boarding him
> because a pregnant mare needed
> consolance because her foal got
> weaned. He has been up there for a
> few months. Today he came back to
> my house and hasn't settled in
> very well. He seems alright now,
> but he will whinny ocassionaly.
> What should I do?

> Try and spend some extra time with
> Alvin, Mar. If weather permits,
> give him some daily exercise to
> focus his mind and just to
> generally help him to feel better.

> As you know, horses are herd
> animals, and now that Alvin has
> spent some time with another
> horse, he's going to have to take
> some time to get used to being by
> himself again. Other animals as
> companions will help, but he's not
> going to accept them into his
> "herd" immediately. You
> are Alvin's herd leader and he
> will do best with some extra
> attention from you. Don't spoil
> him - just help him out with a bit
> of work and attention, even if
> it's just a daily brushing and
> hoof picking. Thanks Linda Alvin is doing a lot better. He does seem to be the kind of horse that needs a lot of attention.

[email protected]

Latest posts