setting up working alley

Help Support CattleToday:

ugabulldog

Reaction score
First time setting up alley w/ chute. I think I have everything good, alley is 28" wide (25-30") in spots, hard to keep all the same... Question is: The alley leads up to the chute on an angle rather than straight in. I don't foresee a problem but wanted to ask before going any further. (Work in progress, Panels will go on inside of post in picture).Thanks.

002 by ARNOLD S JR KAYE, on Flickr][/url]

Take some pics of the rest, I need ideas for mine. A roof is a good idea, always raining when you have to do something.......

ugabulldog":1zgzn03s said:
Kingfisher":1zgzn03s said:
Will you secure that chute?

Chaining the panel to back of chute

Santa just brought me an S04. :santa: :clap: Matter-of-fact it is still sitting on the trailer waiting to deploy. I had already built a palp cage out of 1 1/2" rigid emt (will have to get pics of it sometime). I was going to chain, and still might if this breaks. I needed something to do and came up with this to connect the two. I had to retrofit to cage, thus the hinge/bolts. Would work for connecting to panels too.....If you "need something to do" :nod:

ugabulldog":9p1sfyni said:
Kingfisher":9p1sfyni said:
Will you secure that chute?

Chaining the panel to back of chute

He may have been referring to securing the chute itself. If cattle bang into it hard they can move the chute. Just chaining it to the panels, it will just drag the panels along with it.

Dave":d73vv0gn said:
He may have been referring to securing the chute itself. If cattle bang into it hard they can move the chute. Just chaining it to the panels, it will just drag the panels along with it.
Oh yeah--been there and done that, with the 1/2 the alleyway and squeeze chute all cockeyed from how it started out. I'm glad my panels just chained together and not pinned together. That at least allowed some movement without bending a bunch of pins and pin grommets.

Preifert recommends that chutes not bolted down on cement pads be at least secured with Teeposts driven down on the outside of the squeeze--some straight down on each side to prevent sideways movement and some at an angle to prevent the chute being shoved forward.
There are extra chains on the headgate just for this--go around the teeposts. There is a Preifert video somewhere showing how they it should be done.

If it's an option... Set you two good 6" wood posts 3-4 feet in cement. Chain or ratchet strap the back of the chute to these posts and chain your panels to the posts. Rather than the panels directly to the chute. Just a thought. Don't know your exact situation.

If your cattle are docile then the panels may work. If they have any ear or any other breed with some crazy's, :cry2: .

Kell-inKY":3vppnvta said:
Take some pics of the rest, I need ideas for mine. A roof is a good idea, always raining when you have to do something.......
And one of those patio heaters under there too. You know, the glorified chicken house heaters.
http://www.academy.com/webapp/wcs/store ... tio+Heater
The sun shades from farm tec make good wind breaks too.
One of my next projects is to get a cover over mine.
If nothing else I might get a carport and use it for a while. That's better than nothing and I can use it for something else later.

Latest posts