Setting up squeeze chute... what size ally way is best?

Help Support CattleToday:

ksmit454

Reaction score
I am finally going to set up my squeeze chute. I am going to have it set up in a way that it parallels with where they are used to being fed at. I am wondering however, how wide the alleyway leading to the chute should be? I will post pictures too.

Do you have any other helpful tips for setting it up? Thanks! Also, I have smaller framed cattle - Angus. But I'd like to use a reasonable alleyway to accommodate most sizes of cattle.

Here's sort of my holding pen and I will run the allyway along those panels. I think it'll work out perfect for my small herd!

Attachments

• 416813F1-9808-49E5-91AC-57D248FFF95E.jpeg
    416813F1-9808-49E5-91AC-57D248FFF95E.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 22
  • 94A6D7DA-AFA2-4FD2-AA14-1BAC2354E172.jpeg
    94A6D7DA-AFA2-4FD2-AA14-1BAC2354E172.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 21
I think I made our permanent alley 30" . Big bulls fit easier and it's just a little easier to get those calves to turn back around. Round and round they go.

Make it 28" but see if you can find some lightweight panels with chain type connections to put on the sides when calves are run. This will make it about 24 1/2" inside and stop all but the smallest calves from turning.

I am finally going to set up my squeeze chute. I am going to have it set up in a way that it parallels with where they are used to being fed at. I am wondering however, how wide the alleyway leading to the chute should be? I will post pictures too.

Do you have any other helpful tips for setting it up? Thanks! Also, I have smaller framed cattle - Angus. But I'd like to use a reasonable alleyway to accommodate most sizes of cattle.
We are an Arrowquip dealer and the ones we like the best are the Easy Flow. They adjust from 18" to 29.5" so you can work calves or bulls and everything in between without having them turn around. The top bar allows you to mount an alley stop and it keeps cows from jumping on each other. Here is a link so you can see a picture and video. https://arrowquip.com/cattle-equipment/cattle-alleys/easy-flow-alley While you are there, you might take a look at their squeeze chutes. So easy to use. If they are not available in your area, there are probably other brands of alleys that would work in a similar way.

God how completely exciting

Here's mine. 28" inside width. Homemade out of 4x4x1/4" tube. I've poured some fatties through it and some big bulls. Has worked good for me so far

Attachments

• 74C63B5B-AD3D-403E-ADCE-D45A4C042872.jpeg
    74C63B5B-AD3D-403E-ADCE-D45A4C042872.jpeg
    574.2 KB · Views: 17
I haven't done it yet but have plans on making my new alley from rough cut 1in boards 28in wide alley but on 1 side I'm going to use a board about 30inches off the ground and mount it on some scissor Jack's. Board will be mounted to the foot of the jack and the actual jack will mount to the post. So when I work calves thru I can take a battery impact and run that board in to my desirable width. Like unsaid haven't done it yet but I've been thinking about it for couple years hopefully it works.

Latest posts