Setting up a new feedlot

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
We are looking at setting up a new feedlot on some land we own. I need some advice on getting some investors together and some ideas to basically get things up and running.

Manitoba_Rancher":2rfia9zm said:
We are looking at setting up a new feedlot on some land we own. I need some advice on getting some investors together and some ideas to basically get things up and running.

You looking for cash, cattle on shares, both?

Tried your cattle association?

Talk to your favourite feedlot operator.

Expensive to set up and tough to get started - you need some contracts unless you plan to buy cattle on your own.

Where do you plan to ship to - or are you planning to go branded beef? Locals love this - but you gotta' have a slaughter house close by.

I do not know of any packers in Manitoba at this time - you planning to ship to one of the new places opening soon?

Money can be had from venture capitalists - but beware - those "angels" also exert a great deal of control.

Believe it or not, venture capital can be found on the "net" but you best have a good business plan put together.

How about your infrastructure? Feed supply? Planning to mill your own?

Equipment?

Pen riders? Or will you be small enough to handle it all yourself?

I could go on and on.

It is a tough game - forwad contracting - much as I hate it - could be a saviour for you initially. You know your price in advance.

Got a rough idea on costs to put ONE through the mill and put it on the table? Cost per day?

Bez?

Latest posts