Setting posts by the signs

Help Support CattleToday:

Walker

Reaction score
Between now and March 1st we are planning to build a cattle handling facility. I worked with a fellow who dug post holes by the "Signs"(of the moon). I was wondering if anyone knows the "signs" and could tell me when a good time to set posts would be. Thank you

Posts should definitely be set during a full moon. Just about the same time you wean your calves and children and castrate your bulls.

Tomorrow night is the brightest full moon in over a year (due to the moon being closer to the earth). As bright as it is tonight already a person could work at digging posts all night!!

Dang I hate working at night. Can just imagine what my fence would look like when I can't make a straight one in daylight.

Walker":3caneviv said:
Between now and March 1st we are planning to build a cattle handling facility. I worked with a fellow who dug post holes by the "Signs"(of the moon). I was wondering if anyone knows the "signs" and could tell me when a good time to set posts would be. Thank you

By the Almanac, you should set post under the sign of sagittarius. The old boys around here always said if you planted post by the signs it was like setting them in concrete. If not they would always be loose.

I set posts by signs. Whenever I see signs one is broken, about to break, or rotted, I plant a new one.

Love that folklore!! :help:

Here's another one:

"When the rooster goes crowing to bed, he will rise with a watery head" :nod:

sounds like a good excuse to put off hard work to me.

when the fence is falling down and the stock is out is the best sign that some post work is needed.

You use your "shorter" posts when setting them under a full moon. Posts set under a full moon will continue to grow to extreme heights depending on the ph of the soil, moisture level and if you fertilize before sunrise on the third day. That is how telephone poles are made. Jogeephus plants the pole sections on his farm when they are about 2' long (cuts up used poles into 2' sections until he has enough to plant a field) and sets them in rows about 8 feet apart so he can bushhog around em. He limes, waters, fertilizes and then sets back and awaits the fall harvest of beautiful telephone poles. I am sure there is more to it than that so maybe Jo can weigh in on the details without giving away any of his hoarded trade secrets.

HOSS":344raaqs said:
You use your "shorter" posts when setting them under a full moon. Posts set under a full moon will continue to grow to extreme heights depending on the ph of the soil, moisture level and if you fertilize before sunrise on the third day. That is how telephone poles are made. Jogeephus plants the pole sections on his farm when they are about 2' long (cuts up used poles into 2' sections until he has enough to plant a field) and sets them in rows about 8 feet apart so he can bushhog around em. He limes, waters, fertilizes and then sets back and awaits the fall harvest of beautiful telephone poles. I am sure there is more to it than that so maybe Jo can weigh in on the details without giving away any of his hoarded trade secrets.

This is similar to what I do. When I get tired of digging before the hole is deep enough, I use a short post turned upside down. That way, it grows deeper into the ground. :nod:

HOSS":wxqjmnjf said:

:lol2: :lol2: It always helps to plant them green side up too. Don't know why it works this way but it does. When you say "fall harvest" I assume you are talking the fall of one's life.

HOSS":58g4rjpi said:

:lol2: :lol2: :lol2:
I had an uncle when I was a kid that built a shed to park his truck under. He had cut down several willow trees and used them for the corner posts for the shed. They started growing, he eventually had to tear it down when it became too high and uneven.

cypressfarms":263k3kbv said:
HOSS":263k3kbv said:

:lol2: :lol2: :lol2:
I had an uncle when I was a kid that built a shed to park his truck under. He had cut down several willow trees and used them for the corner posts for the shed. They started growing, he eventually had to tear it down when it became too high and uneven.

Makes you wonder what he was thinking. We have a neighbor that fenced off about 200 acres using pond cypress trees he cut from the swamp. Every post on the whole place was pond cypress. For those who don't know the tree, it is different than bald cypress in a lot of ways. Biggest difference is it will rot about as fast as pine. BTW - he votes.

Latest posts