Setting out hay for ice storm

Help Support CattleToday:

hillrancher

Reaction score
Just got in from setting out hay in the cedar breaks for the cattle. This will most likely get rid of the old hay. We put enough for them to sleep on. Getting slick out there. Were 2 in the ditch within the 1/2 mile of road I traveled. The 4 wheel tractor was sliding on the road bad. It has gotten warmer since dark, but the ice is building on the trees and wires so global warming may have come to an end ice age again.

Hillrancher, you guys be careful on that ice. The cold and stuff we have up here is one thing. But that ice is BAD! watch out! OK!

Took a peek outside a while ago looke like about a half inch of ice and sleet and stillcoming down pretty good. More sleet than freezing rain hope it stays sleet.

having a hard thunderstorm now had about a 1/2 inch of ice and it is pour outside now so will be bad in a little while
I feed a little later today even fed some of the cows that i haven't been feeding then will feed early in the morning
I don't get the tractors out on the ice they are more helpless than the trucks if it gets to bad I will take the dozer and crunch up the ice on the road and the ranch roads with the tracks

Angus Cowman":2epxpodq said:
having a hard thunderstorm now had about a 1/2 inch of ice and it is pour outside now so will be bad in a little while
I feed a little later today even fed some of the cows that i haven't been feeding then will feed early in the morning
I don't get the tractors out on the ice they are more helpless than the trucks if it gets to bad I will take the dozer and crunch up the ice on the road and the ranch roads with the tracks

The rain and sleet has stopped here not much ice on trees and lines. Tomorrow is supposed to have another round.
Be careful with the dozer on ice. I unloaded one when the truck spun out on a hill it ended up at he bottom was a fast and unplanned ride. Was on pavement could not get the blade to dig in. This happened at Holiday Island years ago.

Calling for the "winter mix" here, 80% chance tonight, 100% tomorrow and 100% tomorrow night, probably won't get jack.

I just stepped out of the house(11:40 pm) for a while with my dog and noticed ice hanging from the edge of the roof. Its not looking real good here.

Latest posts