Seriously how do you do raise cattle when it never rains?

Help Support CattleToday:

JLScattle":yyfvom42 said:
This is my first year in this crazy business. Last rain was over 4 months ago. Zero in the forecast. How the heck are you to raise anything when it doesn't rain for 1/3 of the year?

Very frustrated so I thought I would vent to y'all. BTW, I expect very little sympathy from those who have done this for a while. ;-)

Its tough. Sadly 4 months isn't that bad... or even a year. Its those 3-4 year droughts that make you question what your doing.

Luckily I have people who have been doing this a while to provide guidance but you need to establish a comfortable amount of hay. I go with roughly 2 years worth. The idea that you can't have too much hay is kind of true, especially if you have barns to store. If its sitting outside on the ground you losing money. I see hay that just rots away on peoples places. They are literally losing thousands of dollars to weather. Don't go to that extreme. That is the equivalent of burying all your money in the yard. Your actually losing money on that so don't go to that extreme.

When we start in to a drought the first thing we do is cull and sell. Any thing that can be weaned is gone. Any thing that gets high headed, has been slipping through fences, or has aggravated me in any way... gone. One you need to get rid of the extra mouths, two it generates cash. I have never kept a calf through the winter or fed one through a drought expecting to make money. A bird in the hand is better than two in the bush... money in the bank is better than oil in the tank. :)

You have to evaluate your cash on hand, hay and basically ration both. I calculate exactly what it will cost to feed x amount of bales, with x amount of ground feed, x amount of tubs, for x amount of time. That tells you exactly where the line in the sand is. You can only change so many variable is that equation... less mouths to feed, more money, or both.

When we get close to that line in the sand we basically start selling cattle. X amount of cattle sold generates X amount of dollars and buys you X amount of more time.

Even further than that you have to evaluate how many head you want to sell to feed the others. At some point you are better off selling the herd and cashing out. Its like poker, you can try to stay in by playing with your earning but eventually your left with nothing. If you would have cashed out you would have money in your pocket to play again another day if you chose.

Its not perfect but its how I have been taught and has worked for several generations. We don't operate on debt so I can't help you with that game.

Oh ya.... and any planned improvements go on hold. I have worked cattle in pens with 1 gate because the pens were put on hold to make it through a drought.

When its dry.. don't get hung up on trying to make that hay. Pouring the fert to it and all that. Its a waist. Minimize your risk. If you can buy hay early for a little more... do it. Lock in that cost. Thousands of dollars on lost fert can buy a lot of feed.

Still no rain....Husband started digging on a pond that has bothered him for years. We had a new pond built a couple years ago in this pasture, luckily, so he was able to drain this one. Had to move the cows to keep them out.
Our ponds are in ok shape, but i'm guessing a lot of people who've jumped into the cow business and leased land will have problems soon if not already. Its not something most think of when it comes to cows..

Brute 23":3djfwjkj said:
When its dry.. don't get hung up on trying to make that hay. Pouring the fert to it and all that. Its a waist. Minimize your risk. If you can buy hay early for a little more... do it. Lock in that cost. Thousands of dollars on lost fert can buy a lot of feed.

I irrigated one year during a drought. Made good hay but had a lot of cost in it. I was going to sell the extra, at cost, to friends. They thought I was taking advantage of them. Irrigation is expensive. I refuse to sell hay at a loss. Cows get cheap. Buy cheap and feed 'em.

Its all kind of relative to region. One of the very first things we noticed after moving here is that even the corn fields don't have pivots.
In Colorado, no rain for two to three months was typical, and four months wasn't uncommon. Everything was irrigated, it was normal. In Arizona, no rain for 6 months was typical with very little rain the other 6months. Everything was irrigated, but not much was grown during the hot months. In Michigan and Wisconsin, the farmers were constantly worried that either it hadn't rained for two weeks, or that it hadn't stopped raining for two weeks.
In most of Texas, you do what Brute said.....

In 2011 Bastrop Lost Pines fire burned 34000 aces and lost 1700 homes , now adjacent to that fire is burning a 5000 acre fire and lost 34 homes, let a puff of smoke pop up in California and it will be all over the world news, I haven't seen any thing about this except on the local news. It is so dry here the local emergency agency is asking for all hay baling and weed cutting to be stopped because of sparks.

cowboy43":dkov6vtq said:
In 2011 Bastrop Lost Pines fire burned 34000 aces and lost 1700 homes , now adjacent to that fire is burning a 5000 acre fire and lost 34 homes, let a puff of smoke pop up in California and it will be all over the world news, I haven't seen any thing about this except on the local news. It is so dry here the local emergency agency is asking for all hay baling and weed cutting to be stopped because of sparks.

These dry winds aren't helping. Saw a lit cigarette come out of a truck the other night. Couldn't believe it.

Spot on Brute, you said a mouthful. You can't feed yourself out of a drought. I would disagree on carring so much hay. To me 6 months extra , after that it's time to sell out and live to fight another day. You also we sleep better and be in a better mood around your family if your not worried about your cattle..

Cattle are a business, treat it like so and you can turn a decent profit some years. Otherwise they are a hobby, and most hobbies cost you money.

backhoeboogie":2exhgzxb said:
Brute 23":2exhgzxb said:

I irrigated one year during a drought. Made good hay but had a lot of cost in it. I was going to sell the extra, at cost, to friends. They thought I was taking advantage of them. Irrigation is expensive. I refuse to sell hay at a loss. Cows get cheap. Buy cheap and feed 'em.

Just how did you irrigate? My friends from La wonder why I don't. Their conception of water and mine are way different.

I have seen a lot of systems put in , some wells, some River water, no one has lasted long, I guess the expense is more than can be produced, this was for livestock or hay, do not remember any put in for farming. Seems like farmers makes money when they have a crop failure because of Gov. Payments and insurance.

Kingfisher":2ypqhteu said:
backhoeboogie":2ypqhteu said:
Brute 23":2ypqhteu said:

Just how did you irrigate? My friends from La wonder why I don't. Their conception of water and mine are way different.

Irrigate out of the river. 3 inch irrigation pipe mostly. Old peanut farming pipe system. Pumps running anywhere from 300 to 500 gpm. 25 to 30 foot sticks of aluminum pipe. Move them manually every couple of hours. Spray head sprinkler on each stick of pipe. Lots of labor. Biggest expense is fuel for pump. Have an old tractor PTO pump but you are limited on lift. Have to park on the river and that's chancy. Rather use a 4 inch trash pump.

I think there's 1700 feet of useable 3 inch pipe with sprinklers. Each sprinkler is 8 to 12 gpm. Rain it'd commercial sprinklers mostly.

It's pretty easy to get $30 a bale expense in with fuel cost only.

Latest posts