Seriously considering thoes good deals.

Help Support CattleToday:

Susie David

Reaction score
Bought a bred heifer last Oct. nice animal from a good outfit and at a good price. Figured that they were thinning out bacause of the short hay season last year. The little gal is a calm cow but just won't go into the barn, don't care if she is the last cow out in a snow storm with no feed and she can see the rest in the barn having a picnic.
Well, spring melt has started and we're up to our hocks in mud and slop.
The heifer decided to calve last Thursday, thankfully on the only semi-dry mound in the pen. Now know why she was at the sale...looks like the herd sire got to her; after an hour of hooves and no nose she went down in hard labor. I took me and my son almost an hour to pull a 95 pound bull calf. Poor thing stayed down another two hours before she could move, then ignored the calf, got colostrun and has been on the bottle since. If she won't take it tomorrow the grandkids have a bottle baby to care for and she gets a free ride to the sale.
Really is a crap shoot when you get thoes good deals.
And that's my two bits worth....Dave Mc

Sorry to hear of the trouble but I know what you mean. Been there. :oops: Looking back you wonder what the other people saw or knew so as to "allow" the good deal.

Aw ,sorry to hear that. But sometimes those great deals are worthless. It is probably best to ship her. I know a couple of years ago we had a heifer . She had a real hard labor and delivered a 126 lb bull calf. She stayed down about 3 days,before she got up.She wouldn't touch that calf for anything. I bottle fed him for a couple of months. A neighbor bought him from me. His mama got a ride to the sale barn. One for not taking her calf and two. She never healed up right.

Get her in the chute, milk her out for a couple of days so her milk is coming in hard and when you milk her feed her milk to the calf so that it goes thru his system. You should also let him suck her in the chute.

Did you give her any Banamine or Dex after she calved. That would have made her feel better and she might have claimed him sooner. We had exactly the same train wreck a couple of years ago and had given up when on about the 4th or 5th day the heifer came to the fence and bawled til we gave her the calf. She fed him out fine.

There is also a powder called O-No-Mo that works real well. get the calf wet and sprinkle it on his back.

This is a common situation after hard pulls. Don't give up too easily

That sucks! Hope it works out for you. If you can get her in the headgate tie a leg good and help the calf get started. Should work out OK.
The reason my herd bulls will never be over 85 pounds and the heifer bulls never over 72.