Seriously Considering Selling the Cows

Help Support CattleToday:

But you do like lamb, yes? Just not mutton?

Nope, and I've had it when everyone else bragged on how good it was. One of the first times I met my in-laws they served lamb. Of course I said it was good, because I didn't want to offend them, but I struggled with it. I got paid for lying, because after that they'd feed it to us just about every time we visited because "I enjoyed it so much."

I finally told me wife I couldn't do it any more and please explain it to her mother. Thankfully she and my father-in-law thought it was funny instead of being offended.

Nope, and I've had it when everyone else bragged on how good it was. One of the first times I met my in-laws they served lamb. Of course I said it was good, because I didn't want to offend them, but I struggled with it. I got paid for lying, because after that they'd feed it to us just about every time we visited because "I enjoyed it so much."

I finally told me wife I couldn't do it any more and please explain it to her mother. Thankfully she and my father-in-law thought it was funny instead of being offended.
I can't eat green Jello. We all have our foibles...

I can't eat green Jello. We all have our foibles...

One of mine is marshmallows. I don't even like the way they smell. My children, who are now 27 and 32, still talk about how if we went to the store and they asked for Rice Crispy treats I'd buy them, but they couldn't eat them until we got home because they weren't allowed to open them in the truck.

One of mine is marshmallows. I don't even like the way they smell. My children, who are now 27 and 32, still talk about how if we went to the store and they asked for Rice Crispy treats I'd buy them, but they couldn't eat them until we got home because they weren't allowed to open them in the truck.
Okay, I'm not gonna judge. How 'bout burnt marshmallows? That's a whole 'nuther category and they're like heaven on a stick (and subsequently graham crackers w/chocolate).

My b-i-l (now deceased) used to raise hair sheep. He was forever trying to get me to come eat lamb with him and sis. I got tired of making excuses (yes..lying) and finally told him I hated lamb and no way would I ever ever again try mutton.
Mutton is some nasty sheet..

In the early 70's I spent one summer on a 78,000 acre sheep station with 20.000 merino sheep. Every 2nd night it was my mate and me had to go out in the 3,000 acre house paddock with the dogs and pick out a wether and bring it back and kill and then dress it out. It would hang over night and then we would split it up the next morning. We had roast leg of mutton every night, the shoulder was cooked at the same time and it was cut up for our sandwiches for lunch. The chops we had for breakfast. The only refrigeration were two old Silent Night kerosene fridges so nothing could be kept for long. I like sheep meat so it didn't worry me.

Ken

My b-i-l (now deceased) used to raise hair sheep. He was forever trying to get me to come eat lamb with him and sis. I got tired of making excuses (yes..lying) and finally told him I hated lamb and no way would I ever ever again try mutton.
Mutton is some nasty sheet..
I like it, but different strokes.

In the early 70's I spent one summer on a 78,000 acre sheep station with 20.000 merino sheep. Every 2nd night it was my mate and me had to go out in the 3,000 acre house paddock with the dogs and pick out a wether and bring it back and kill and then dress it out. It would hang over night and then we would split it up the next morning. We had roast leg of mutton every night, the shoulder was cooked at the same time and it was cut up for our sandwiches for lunch. The chops we had for breakfast. The only refrigeration were two old Silent Night kerosene fridges so nothing could be kept for long. I like sheep meat so it didn't worry me.

Ken
Sounds like a dream. Is 3.9 acres to the sheep enough out there?

In our country, the Basque people hold a BBQ on the Big Horn mountains. They put lambs on a spit and you talk about good eating. Seriously. They can perform magic with lamb meat.

My ex-sister-in-law was a Basque girl. Lamb was delicious when she cooked it. I think it might have something to do with how they are butchered. They never allow the wool to touch the meat and they are very diligent with the whole process.

I like lamb. Grew up eating it (Rhode Island city people!!) Butchering is major in having a good eating experience. Wool has lanoline which will taint the meat. I have never had mutton. My daughter went on an exchange trip to NZ for a year. Ate lots of mutton and chicken. Was soooo happy to be home to eat BEEF.

We used to regularly have a couple of lambs processed each year. We only quit because the price they brought at the stockyards tempted us to sell them and find something else for the freezer.
We sometimes had a ewe that lost her lambs ground into burger and it made some of the best burger I have ever eaten. They mixed a little pork fat into the ewe burger and I am getting hungry just typing about it.
We never fed out a beef, too much work and expensive. We often would kill a heifer right off the cow and milk fat, maybe 650 or even 700 pounds. They were very tender but not full flavored. We also fed Jersey and Jersey cross steers to about 750 pounds. Again tender, but not like choice beef from the store.
Whatever you choose to fill your freezer with, what you feed them matters. Corn makes for the best product. Feeding the cheaper byproduct feeds from the feed store gives a distinctive flavor to the meat of both lambs and calves.

Latest posts