Seriously Considering Selling the Cows

Help Support CattleToday:

A city lot in a rural Utah town. Lots less real estate than I'm accustomed to for animals. I spent some childhood in Tennessee and had my first ranch in Arkansas, so I get the colloquialisms. LOL... now I'm starting to think in my southern dialect since ya'll mentioned it.
I'm sorry for your loss.

I'm a small operator in northern MN on 80 acres with about 60 acres pasture and 14 acres hay field. I recently sold 12 of my 16 pure Angus ( not registered) after two years of drought and having to buy hay and protein tubs for winter. The last two years I put the cattle in the hay field when the pasture was grazed to the max, which helped. So I'm down to three cows that will calve in the spring and one bull. Plans were to build the herd to 16 to 18 cows and sell the calves, replace heifers' when needed, etc. the weather sure changed plans and starting over again at the young age of 71! I was also looking into doing corn of beans on the hay acreage since I have been buying hay and also need less hay after the sale. Not sure if that is the best way to go but I have a few cold months to make up my mind.

I'm a small operator in northern MN on 80 acres with about 60 acres pasture and 14 acres hay field. I recently sold 12 of my 16 pure Angus ( not registered) after two years of drought and having to buy hay and protein tubs for winter. The last two years I put the cattle in the hay field when the pasture was grazed to the max, which helped. So I'm down to three cows that will calve in the spring and one bull. Plans were to build the herd to 16 to 18 cows and sell the calves, replace heifers' when needed, etc. the weather sure changed plans and starting over again at the young age of 71! I was also looking into doing corn of beans on the hay acreage since I have been buying hay and also need less hay after the sale. Not sure if that is the best way to go but I have a few cold months to make up my mind.
I was to the bred cow sale yesterday. Black Angus heifers were selling for $1800 to $1900, and 3 & 5 year old cows around $1700 to $1800. I was wanting to increase my herd, but at those prices I may not. It is going to depend on what I get for my calves when I sell them in January.

No... but my ranch in SD was about three miles north of the "sheep capital of the world" that had very few sheep while I was there. There was a guy north of me that lost 400 or so in a spring storm one year. Same storm got six of my calves.
Those sheep ranchers seem to survive better. We had friends that lost 800 head of sheep in a spring storm. Had those been 160 calves, he would have been done. Our sheep rancher friends just carried on. They didn't like it, of course and would have rather it hadn't happened but they survived. She was a basque lady and she was a real hand.

The old timers in WY used to say "we run sheep for profit and cows for pride." Sheep paid for a lot of ranches.

Those sheep ranchers seem to survive better. We had friends that lost 800 head of sheep in a spring storm. Had those been 160 calves, he would have been done. Our sheep rancher friends just carried on. They didn't like it, of course and would have rather it hadn't happened but they survived. She was a basque lady and she was a real hand.

The old timers in WY used to say "we run sheep for profit and cows for pride." Sheep paid for a lot of ranches.
Sheep make more money because they average twins...

I've heard that saying about "sheep for profit" but I heard it was horses for pride and damned if I can remember what cows were but it also started with a "p".

I'm 75 young. Lost hubby 10 years ago and my nephew moved in with me. He and I were both born and raised in city, Rhode Island. I've been raising Simmental for over 50 years. Nephew fits right in. Loves country life. I let him have more and more of the decision making or discussing the decisions being made. It will be his one day. Currently, I still work side by side with him. Love this life.

My favorite is Buffalo ribs. Growing up, we ate them 2-3 times a week in the spring.
In South Alabama and the Florida panhandle, mullet is THE thing to eat. (I've had it and it was dang good too)
Fried garfish balls in S. Louisiana is a big item. (I didn't even know garfish had balls)

So far, I've not gotten hungry enough to clean, much less eat a buffalo fish. Haff disease.

My favorite is Buffalo ribs. Growing up, we ate them 2-3 times a week in the spring.
Buffalo fish is served during lent at some places in Southern Illinois and up around Quincy.
Very mild taste. Most people won't eat Carp.
I think it might make mainstream food one day. If people knew it was not fishy tasting they would eat it. You have to eat only the ribs to avoid the little bones.
People should eat them as it would help with the over fishing of the oceans...Lord knows there are millions of Buffalo in the US rivers.

Buffalo fish is served during lent at some places in Southern Illinois and up around Quincy.
Very mild taste. Most people won't eat Carp.
I think it might make mainstream food one day. If people knew it was not fishy tasting they would eat it. You have to eat only the ribs to avoid the little bones.
People should eat them as it would help with the over fishing of the oceans...Lord knows there are millions of Buffalo in the US rivers.
Actually, Buffalo are kind of in danger due to overfishing by bow-fishermen.