Seriously Considering Selling the Cows

Help Support CattleToday:

Been a bit over 7 months since we've had a cow, calf or bull on the place. Can't say I regret selling them much. I kind of miss hearing them munching grass after dark when I'm outside, but not enough to deal with the work and obligation. An adjoining land owner is talking to me about spraying the grass, taking down two fences and row cropping the ground. After so many years helping that grass grow, trying to keep weeds at bay and building that fence by myself, it's not an easy step. But I'll do it. Sometimes it just takes a while to come to terms with a decision that is obviously the best way to go.
As long as that is something YOU WANT. Once it is farmed, it would be hard to put it back to grass, at least in our area. It darn sure would be costly. Can you find someone with cows willing to rent your pasture? Then you could still hear the cows munching on grass and you wouldn't be drastically changing your land. Just something to think about. Good luck to you, whatever you decide.

Been a bit over 7 months since we've had a cow, calf or bull on the place. Can't say I regret selling them much. I kind of miss hearing them munching grass after dark when I'm outside, but not enough to deal with the work and obligation. An adjoining land owner is talking to me about spraying the grass, taking down two fences and row cropping the ground. After so many years helping that grass grow, trying to keep weeds at bay and building that fence by myself, it's not an easy step. But I'll do it. Sometimes it just takes a while to come to terms with a decision that is obviously the best way to go.
Good to hear your happy with your decision. It will come to me before I want it.

My dad has trucked local his entire life. I told him when he goes we're digging a slope, strapping him in his truck and rolling him in, and cover him up with the black smoke rolling. Some people are horrified when I say that, so I tell them about grandpa's request to "just throw me over the fence to the hogs." Makes the first one a little easier to take.

Always wondered why my maternal grandparents never visited us when I was a kid . Papa always used the excuse he couldn't leave the cows ; now I know . It was not an excuse ! I like what you said in your opening statement: it's an obligation .

My dad has trucked local his entire life. I told him when he goes we're digging a slope, strapping him in his truck and rolling him in, and cover him up with the black smoke rolling. Some people are horrified when I say that, so I tell them about grandpa's request to "just throw me over the fence to the hogs." Makes the first one a little easier to take.

I have a friend whose father used to say that when he died they should just drop him off the Brazos River bridge. He said he'd eaten a lot of fish in his life and it was only fair to let them eat him.

I'm 68 and I'm not selling the cows. I want more cows. Let's get rid of the leasers and get more of our own. I got a bone density test at the hospital to make sure I can still be knocked around by cattle and fall off horses. My husband says he's too old to dig post holes but I'm not. And he still digs post holes.

" My dad has trucked local his entire life. I told him when he goes we're digging a slope, strapping him in his truck and rolling him in, and cover him up with the black smoke rolling. Some people are horrified when I say that, "

Sounds like a Viking funeral. :)

No... but my ranch in SD was about three miles north of the "sheep capital of the world" that had very few sheep while I was there. There was a guy north of me that lost 400 or so in a spring storm one year. Same storm got six of my calves.
Any reason an independent cow breed or some stockers wouldn't do you as well as the lambs?

Any reason an independent cow breed or some stockers wouldn't do you as well as the lambs?
I've thought about a miniature... but I just think they are so wrong. And like I said... TWO lambs, so not a lot of space or grass. Been thinking about a Corriente but really don't know if the grass is enough... and without enough to raise hay, buying it is a losing proposition. Besides, I like being able to travel when I want at this point in life.

I have a friend whose father used to say that when he died they should just drop him off the Brazos River bridge. He said he'd eaten a lot of fish in his life and it was only fair to let them eat him.
The Brazos still runs muddy like she's run all along..

We have a picture of Grandpa holding a spoonbill that him and dad caught running nets here on the Little Wabash. I'm sure it runs as muddy as the Brazos, you all would probably feel right at home.

I've thought about a miniature... but I just think they are so wrong. And like I said... TWO lambs, so not a lot of space or grass. Been thinking about a Corriente but really don't know if the grass is enough... and without enough to raise hay, buying it is a losing proposition. Besides, I like being able to travel when I want at this point in life.
You said a couple and I'm from the south. A couple could be 20, colloquially. Anywho, how many acres and where?

You said a couple and I'm from the south. A couple could be 20, colloquially. Anywho, how many acres and where?
A city lot in a rural Utah town. Lots less real estate than I'm accustomed to for animals. I spent some childhood in Tennessee and had my first ranch in Arkansas, so I get the colloquialisms. LOL... now I'm starting to think in my southern dialect since ya'll mentioned it.

Latest posts