Seriously Considering Selling the Cows

Help Support CattleToday:

Form a 501c3 foundation to give it away...provided you are paid a big salary and expenses are covered....to oversee the good works🤫....worked for the Hill and Billery.

I'm 63 and have nobody to take care of the farm and cattle. Guess that's the main reason I keep doing it instead of selling out. If I had someone I could help I probably would.
Dawg gone — I'd help u if I were closer, just started raising my own red angus herd At 52 I'm a late bloomer but I have to say to larger our herd grows the more hubby and I fight when we vaccinate........why I'm keeping numbers low/slow while he wants to keep every heifer — NOPE ain't doing it cause I wanna smash some part of ur body in chute already. Lmao

Attachments

• CAEF5E5F-2876-471D-B704-3BFB0445B8A5.jpeg
    CAEF5E5F-2876-471D-B704-3BFB0445B8A5.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 16
Cows are a capital gain. Should not be a problem until Biden changes the tax law.
Equipment would be an issue except we all run very lean.
No reason to sell real estate. Need to find a good renter.

But I don't want more real-estate! Want the headaches to go away. Got houses to live in, don't wanna raise cows anymore. I just wanna spend the equity I spent a lifetime building. I'm willing to pour it back into the economy. LOL!!! Just not in the form of taxes.
Find someone who wants to start or expand and let them grow into your operation over a few years. Each year a set percentage of your cows would be sold and replaced with the same number of cows by the new operator and the calf crop would sell the same way. At the end you own no cattle and the new operator fully owns the cattle and is renting your land. I have never done things that way but know of it being done.

Bite the bullet and pay your taxes then enjoy the remmainder of your life. Even after taxes you will have a nice enough best egg to live comfortably. Who knows what the tax situation will be 10 years from now but I highly doubt it will be less than it is now.

America needs revenue for operating taxes is the only source. Trickle down and running on credit never works as someday there is a pay day. The pay day is way over due.

But I don't want more real-estate! Want the headaches to go away. Got houses to live in, don't wanna raise cows anymore. I just wanna spend the equity I spent a lifetime building. I'm willing to pour it back into the economy. LOL!!! Just not in the form of taxes.
Finance it for the purchaser.

I've been thinking about selling everything as well but for now think I'll go ahead and feed them through winter. lolol. Another money making decision. In all honesty though I don't get around like I once did and many things are beginning to really be a choir. Heck even CT is not as interesting anymore. I use to try to respond and help often but now more times than not will read something and just think "what the heck" and forget about it. We shall see.

I've been thinking about selling everything as well but for now think I'll go ahead and feed them through winter. lolol. Another money making decision. In all honesty though I don't get around like I once did and many things are beginning to really be a choir. Heck even CT is not as interesting anymore. I use to try to respond and help often but now more times than not will read something and just think "what the heck" and forget about it. We shall see.
I was forced out of my job in Aug. 2002. Six months before 62 birthday. Should have quit the cows then and the wife and I could really had some years to enjoy traveling and such while our health would have permitted it. Now 18 years later we are both not in good shape to do a lot of traveling. Joints and bones hurt most of the time. Really hard and expensive trying to keep the and up and the cow herd going..

Trouble with financing it in this part of the country is first thing they do is remove every tree, fence and most buildings to farm it.
Five years later when that fails, you get your farm back.
No equipment, nobody wants a gutted farm, and you're worse off than you were before.
Saw it happen many times here, 70 years old, what happens now?
No one has a chance to buy it, raise cattle and make it work.
If I sell, I know I can never come back to look.
Have an employee that's been with me 20+ years, in reality I'll probably give it to her and walk away.

I wouldn't mind finding someone local who wants to sell out and have the option to buy their top producing cows and have an open invitation to stop by any time to see these cows, their calves each summer and talk cattle over some coffee. I'd even let them come and help do a little hay or run cattle thru the chute if they are bored with their new found free time. :)

An update.

Calves are all gone. All but one heifer went to auction. The heifer went to a breeder. She was very nice and I couldn't see letting her end up in a feed lot.

Cows have been picked over with a few of the younger girls going to a Hereford breeder and some going to a show calf breeder who is using them as embryo recipients. I have enough cows to finish pastures and clean out the hay barn sometime over the winter carrying the sale income into 2022.

Still bittersweet, but I'm already getting used to not having anything to feed twice a day. I feel like I'm goofing off.

Life is short. Working with cattle can keep you so busy that before you know it. You will wake up one day all wore out and too old to do the things you enjoy outside of farming. When you get to that point you will even have to give that up. Best to enjoy what time you have left doing what you like best. Cant imagine anybody chooseing to work until they die farming. Good luck with whatever path you choose.

Been a bit over 7 months since we've had a cow, calf or bull on the place. Can't say I regret selling them much. I kind of miss hearing them munching grass after dark when I'm outside, but not enough to deal with the work and obligation. An adjoining land owner is talking to me about spraying the grass, taking down two fences and row cropping the ground. After so many years helping that grass grow, trying to keep weeds at bay and building that fence by myself, it's not an easy step. But I'll do it. Sometimes it just takes a while to come to terms with a decision that is obviously the best way to go.

Latest posts