Seriously Considering Selling the Cows

Help Support CattleToday:

Dave":drq4o8vd said:
People selling? I am nearly 67 and I just bought a 1,200 acre ranch that has two BLM allotments attached to it that total around 15,000 acres. I am just getting warmed up.

Back when I was chasing rodeos I said that I would rather die while I am living than live while I was dead. Life is what you make of it.
Here's to the work that makes!

Dave":37kqfmnb said:
People selling? I am nearly 67 and I just bought a 1,200 acre ranch that has two BLM allotments attached to it that total around 15,000 acres. I am just getting warmed up.

Back when I was chasing rodeos I said that I would rather die while I am living than live while I was dead. Life is what you make of it.

I've always liked you Dave but you are now officially my hero.

To update this, I think I've decided to sell the girls when we wean the calves next year. Not an easy decision, but at our age with kids living on the East Coast it just makes sense. Honestly, fewer things to worry about is the way to go after 60.

Not sure if we will make hay on shares, rent for row crops or rent pasture, but the important think is not being tied down anymore. Will hate seeing them go.

To update this, I think I've decided to sell the girls when we wean the calves next year. Not an easy decision, but at our age with kids living on the East Coast it just makes sense. Honestly, fewer things to worry about is the way to go after 60.

Not sure if we will make hay on shares, rent for row crops or rent pasture, but the important think is not being tied down anymore. Will hate seeing them go.

I won't hit 60 until next year, but I can certainly understand feeling that way. My son lives next door, but if he wasn't so close I'd probably be thinking about it too.

I'm going to have to make that decision in a few years too. Sad, but reality is that the farm will go into decline if I can't keep up.

I'm going to have to make that decision in a few years too. Sad, but reality is that the farm will go into decline if I can't keep up.
I'm 63 and have nobody to take care of the farm and cattle. Guess that's the main reason I keep doing it instead of selling out. If I had someone I could help I probably would.

I'm 63 and have nobody to take care of the farm and cattle. Guess that's the main reason I keep doing it instead of selling out. If I had someone I could help I probably would.
The Funny thing is that, as most of you know, I got back into it after the death of my Father a few years ago. Now, I find I enjoy it and hopefully will be able to keep myself busy during retirement in a few years. BTW Kenny you are a lot older than me. I am 61.

The Funny thing is that, as most of you know, I got back into it after the death of my Father a few years ago. Now, I find I enjoy it and hopefully will be able to keep myself busy during retirement in a few years. BTW Kenny you are a lot older than me. I am 61.
For me it's not the age, it's the miles.

Have my 100 head leased on a 60 40 deal. I supply grass, hay ground,, taxes and insurance. He pays everything else for the 60% gross.
Would like to sell out. How do you handle taxes? Would give at least half to government.

But I don't want more real-estate! Want the headaches to go away. Got houses to live in, don't wanna raise cows anymore. I just wanna spend the equity I spent a lifetime building. I'm willing to pour it back into the economy. LOL!!! Just not in the form of taxes.

Latest posts