Seriously Considering Selling the Cows

Help Support CattleToday:

gcreekrch":1r910ky7 said:
ALACOWMAN":1r910ky7 said:
I'm right the opposite I suppose, the cattle are my life..""Good Lords will"" they will be till I die...

I'm with you Sir, cattle give me a purpose in life.

Respect the OP'sdecision, too bad a youngster wasn't there to step to the plate.

I agree with both of you. I had to sell off the cows when I sold the place last September. I won't get into the Oregon place until July. Yesterday I went to the sale and bought 4 little heifers to eat down the grass here for the next couple months. i probably checked on them half a dozen times today. It sure feels good to have a few.

hurleyjd":2v6uya4p said:
gcreekrch":2v6uya4p said:
ALACOWMAN":2v6uya4p said:
I'm right the opposite I suppose, the cattle are my life..""Good Lords will"" they will be till I die...

Respect the OP'sdecision, too bad a youngster wasn't there to step to the plate.

Most youngsters are smarter than taking on thousands of dollars in debt and be tied down with a business that makes money maybe every five years or so. Yeah you could bring them own as a partner and they will begin selling the cows to buy a $75000 pickup that cost you from the time you drive it off of the dealers lot.

show me these smart youngsters.. the majority I see still live with mommy @ 25.

I'd be very impressed with a young person who owned cattle.

The majority of the millennial generation can't work like us. But some will work circles around anyone, plus their really computer savvy and can figure about anything out on their own....if their willing.

I'm selling at least 50 percent... ive already sold some. this rain will have folks in a good mood so more will get sold next week. some good young beefmasterx angus cows with angus calfs are on the list. I aint geting out, but I hear a train a coming. I hope I'm wrong , but things I'm seeing remind me. ill put the money up to get back in when they get cheap enough. and grow the grass in the meantime

callmefence":z0rzpjc8 said:
I'm selling at least 50 percent... ive already sold some. this rain will have folks in a good mood so more will get sold next week. some good young beefmasterx angus cows with angus calfs are on the list. I aint geting out, but I hear a train a coming. I hope I'm wrong , but things I'm seeing remind me. ill put the money up to get back in when they get cheap enough. and grow the grass in the meantime

Andy

Seems to me that I am hearing of more and more selling going on. I am seeing the first evidence of people talking about quitting. That usually means the tree is being shaken and some of the fruit is falling. Hopefully, it sets us up for a future rally in beef prices.

Bright Raven":1a9ks0fv said:
callmefence":1a9ks0fv said:

Andy

Seems to me that I am hearing of more and more selling going on. I am seeing the first evidence of people talking about quitting. That usually means the tree is being shaken and some of the fruit is falling. Hopefully, it sets us up for a future rally in beef prices.

I don't know why I bring this kind of he// on myself, but I'm planning on chopping a shyt load of silage this year and buying as many heavy breds as I can afford this fall. I'd say I'm a year or three off, but no risk=no reward.

Farm Fence Solutions":3vxr5x3k said:
Bright Raven":3vxr5x3k said:
callmefence":3vxr5x3k said:

Andy

I don't know why I bring this kind of he// on myself, but I'm planning on chopping a shyt load of silage this year and buying as many heavy breds as I can afford this fall. I'd say I'm a year or three off, but no risk=no reward.

That's a plan and fall is the time to pull the trigger around here. Except I'll buy shorts and winter them on stockpile grass. They'll calve on oat pasture.

callmefence":trqquda9 said:
Farm Fence Solutions":trqquda9 said:
Bright Raven":trqquda9 said:
Andy

That's a plan and fall is the time to pull the trigger around here. Except I'll buy shorts and winter them on stockpile grass. They'll calve on oat pasture.

I hope your plan works out well for you. I'm doing that again this year myself.

ddd75":t28em8n1 said:
hurleyjd":t28em8n1 said:
gcreekrch":t28em8n1 said:

Most youngsters are smarter than taking on thousands of dollars in debt and be tied down with a business that makes money maybe every five years or so. Yeah you could bring them own as a partner and they will begin selling the cows to buy a $75000 pickup that cost you from the time you drive it off of the dealers lot.

Might be the geography area you are living in. Come to East Texas and let me show you some of them.

hurleyjd":343ikvxx said:
ddd75":343ikvxx said:
hurleyjd":343ikvxx said:

Might be the geography area you are living in. Come to East Texas and let me show you some of them.

YouTube is full of them. Lots of that generation have worked and saved enough to see the world from a boat, an RV, or a backpack. He//, I did it when I was in my 20's, but it was from a saddle and a Capri camper, and a little bit on a boat. For every internet star doing it, I would imagine another thousand are doing it in privacy. There are plenty of lazy ones in every generation, but casting too broad a net seems a bit harsh.

Here's a millennial neighbor that I took hunting and fishing as a kid. "Deer Meat for Dinner" he has a lot of YouTube videos, most are worth watching. His dad use to get so mad at him for running his mouth all the time and doing nothing but going hunting and fishing. We set a bad example for him, but it's worked out well for him.

i'll just post these crazy statics that must of fallen out of the sky

The share of Americans who got married, had kids, got a job and lived on their own by age 34 fell from 45 percent in 1975 to 24 percent in 2016, said Jonathan Vespa, a census demographer and author of the report.

1 in 3 live @ home still.

According to the Federal Reserve, there are over 17 million student loan borrowers under the age of 30 in the U.S. These 17 million people hold a total of $376.3 billion in debt. The average monthly student loan payment for a borrower in their 20s is $351, and the median monthly payment is $203.

That means that Americans in their 20s with student loan debt each have an average balance of about $22,135.

abby_slide_1d.jpg

doing so well.. lol

ddd75":3nqrho6n said:

The share of Americans who got married, had kids, got a job and lived on their own by age 34 fell from 45 percent in 1975 to 24 percent in 2016, said Jonathan Vespa, a census demographer and author of the report.

According to the Federal Reserve, there are over 17 million student loan borrowers under the age of 30 in the U.S. These 17 million people hold a total of $376.3 billion in debt. The average monthly student loan payment for a borrower in their 20s is $351, and the median monthly payment is $203.

That means that Americans in their 20s with student loan debt each have an average balance of about $22,135.

abby_slide_1d.jpg

doing so well.. lol

The statistics you post does not say one thing about the rent gouging landlords that have the rent so high for most entry level jobs. Plus maybe the parents like the children living at home. The child may be there to help the parents get by.
Plus your statics does nothing but support your thinking about the society as a whole. If they cut the section 8 there would also be a whole lot of people out in the street section 8 is a boon to some rich landlords to get rich off of the poor people. Also does your statics say anything about elder parents or some that are disabled that the children have moved into their homes.

jkwilson":wqj0guba said:
Been discussing it for a while now and am seriously thinking about selling them when we wean this fall.

Both of us will be retiring next spring. Kids are grown, with both living on the East Coast and we want to visit them more often.

Getting harder to find dependable people to keep an eye on the cows, and water while we are gone, and we are tired of missing fishing or camping trips when the weather is nice.

It's not the work or the time, it's the obligation. We want be free to do things when we want, not when somebody can keep an eye on the cows. The only close neighbor who runs their own animals doesn't take care of his own, so I'm not going to trust him with mine. Hate to see them go. Used to have several neighbors who would and could do it, and we just traded watching animals when one of us was gone, but the rest of them are either dead, moved to warmer climates or not in good enough health to be out.

Will be a sad day for sure.

I am a step ahead of you having just finished selling. Not for the same reasons because I really don't want to go anywhere but I do want some free time and a little less work. One month later, I have seemingly filled up the time already.

hurleyjd":397f3cup said:
ddd75":397f3cup said:

abby_slide_1d.jpg

doing so well.. lol

The statistics you post does not say one thing about the rent gouging landlords that have the rent so high for most entry level jobs. Plus maybe the parents like the children living at home. The child may be there to help the parents get by.
Plus your statics does nothing but support your thinking about the society as a whole. If they cut the section 8 there would also be a whole lot of people out in the street section 8 is a boon to some rich landlords to get rich off of the poor people. Also does your statics say anything about elder parents or some that are disabled that the children have moved into their homes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3d-syfEcnT0

People selling? I am nearly 67 and I just bought a 1,200 acre ranch that has two BLM allotments attached to it that total around 15,000 acres. I am just getting warmed up.

Back when I was chasing rodeos I said that I would rather die while I am living than live while I was dead. Life is what you make of it.

Latest posts