Seriously Considering Selling the Cows

Help Support CattleToday:

jkwilson

Reaction score
Been discussing it for a while now and am seriously thinking about selling them when we wean this fall.

Both of us will be retiring next spring. Kids are grown, with both living on the East Coast and we want to visit them more often.

Getting harder to find dependable people to keep an eye on the cows, and water while we are gone, and we are tired of missing fishing or camping trips when the weather is nice.

It's not the work or the time, it's the obligation. We want be free to do things when we want, not when somebody can keep an eye on the cows. The only close neighbor who runs their own animals doesn't take care of his own, so I'm not going to trust him with mine. Hate to see them go. Used to have several neighbors who would and could do it, and we just traded watching animals when one of us was gone, but the rest of them are either dead, moved to warmer climates or not in good enough health to be out.

Will be a sad day for sure.

Maybe you could find a young person trying to get a start to lease the cows and place from you in a way that would benefit both of you. When the cows go brush starts growing up and things start falling apart it seems.

Definitely can see why you want to get out though. Enjoy retirement for a while, you can always get a few cows again after you get bored with traveling. Good luck!

I understand where you are coming from. I've never had one thing in life that I felt like my life revolved around; I've always wanted balance. I enjoy the cows, but when it gets to the point that I can't do anything else because I always have to keep an eye on a cow, I'll probably sell too. I retire from the public job in just a few years. I'm not sure what I'll do then.

ChrisB":2c79ozur said:
Maybe you could find a young person trying to get a start to lease the cows and place from you in a way that would benefit both of you. When the cows go brush starts growing up and things start falling apart it seems.

Definitely can see why you want to get out though. Enjoy retirement for a while, you can always get a few cows again after you get bored with traveling. Good luck!
Absolutely, you can be a mentor , help when you can , that would be a great deal if you can find the right person .

I know the feeling. It's not so much that I want the freedom, but that I don't have the freedom to stay around home all the time right now. It'll be a matter of time before there is some sort of massive judgement in return for my lack of management these past few years. I know a couple of guys that might be interested in renting your pasture......if it comes to that.

I think that finding someone who is looking to start their own farm is a really good idea. It costs a lot to start up a farm completely new or even get started in farming. If you were able to find someone to take over your operation for you permanently or even temporarily that might not only help you but also help them. If I had an opportunity like that to take on someone else's farm for them it would save me a lot of money and hassle.

Cows aren't pets, they're a lot easier to deal with than cats and dogs. Some operations are set up where they only work cows a few times a year. We're set up where we can only leave the cows unsupervised for a few weeks at the moment. I'm working towards being able to leave the cows unsupervised for a month at a time. I have places to go and people to annoy.

True Grit Farms":jsslm1p3 said:
Cows aren't pets, they're a lot easier to deal with than cats and dogs. Some operations are set up where they only work cows a few times a year. We're set up where we can only leave the cows unsupervised for a few weeks at the moment. I'm working towards being able to leave the cows unsupervised for a month at a time. I have places to go and people to annoy.

Problem is things like water lines and floats and trees falling on the fence not to mention drunks running through the fence by the road. Have to have somebody check that stuff.

jkwilson":3o9mm66o said:
We want be free to do things when we want, not when somebody can keep an eye on the cows.

There is an entire generation of farmers that are having this same discussion right now and in the next couple of years.

It is their exit which will have a bigger impact on the future of the industry than any special "herd-builder" cow that TT tries to sell you.

And whatever you do, do not take relationship advice from TT's cows;...or at least don't pay them for it.

ALACOWMAN":1r79ov0y said:
I'm right the opposite I suppose, the cattle are my life..""Good Lords will"" they will be till I die...

I'm with you Sir, cattle give me a purpose in life.

Respect the OP'sdecision, too bad a youngster wasn't there to step to the plate.

gcreekrch":3qhzhj62 said:
ALACOWMAN":3qhzhj62 said:
I'm right the opposite I suppose, the cattle are my life..""Good Lords will"" they will be till I die...

Respect the OP'sdecision, too bad a youngster wasn't there to step to the plate.

Most youngsters are smarter than taking on thousands of dollars in debt and be tied down with a business that makes money maybe every five years or so. Yeah you could bring them own as a partner and they will begin selling the cows to buy a $75000 pickup that cost you from the time you drive it off of the dealers lot.

hurleyjd":1df3sbcw said:
gcreekrch":1df3sbcw said:
ALACOWMAN":1df3sbcw said:

Most youngsters are smarter than taking on thousands of dollars in debt and be tied down with a business that makes money maybe every five years or so. Yeah you could bring them own as a partner and they will begin selling the cows to buy a $75000 pickup that cost you from the time you drive it off of the dealers lot.
so their smart enough not to take on thousands of dollars in debt for a business, but won't hesitate to pay 75k for a truck..that's where the mentoring part comes in...

Latest posts