Serious Breeding Problem. Bad Bull - Open Cows

Help Support CattleToday:

Jeanne - Simme Valley":3ka4bggp said:
First - how does everyone know he bought it from Kit?? was this discussed in a previous thread?
2nd - poster has not been back. imafancyhummer posted back on 3-31 and hasn't been back. :shock:
If I remember right, the poster had something about Kit before editing it out.

bigbull338":1kuqoguk said:
heres the reasons why i said sale the bull.1 they just bought the bull from a sale.so he shouldve passed a BSE with an 85 or better.2 theres no way in heck 29 cows can all have probs that will prevent them from breeding.3 so that tells me that something happened to the bull.now to prove the point the bull needs tobe retested.an i bet he will come in shooting blanks.
Actually there is a a way in heck 29 cows can have a problem where they won't breed

#1 Nutritional problems could be either to thin,too fat,or mineral deficiency

#2 herd Health cows could have a disease keeping them from sttling or causing them to abort

#3 plain piss poor management

# 4 they purchased the bull last spring and are just now finding out their cows aren't calving, that is the reason for preg checking I guess this one falls under #3

The first thing the owner needs to do is not sell the bull but find out WHAT the problem is and then contact the breeder and see what his procedures are for taking care of the situation if it is the bulls fault a

Appears the original poster isn't ever coming back, but just for the sake of adding a bit more info to the post....

...there's several diseases out there that old cows can carry without ever showing symptoms, but will cause major problems when uninfected virgin bulls become infected. The next breeding season the bulls are fine, they're just carriers, but it's okay because the cows are carriers too. Think vibrio is one of the diseases that does that. You bring in a clean virgin bull, throw him in a herd of asymptomatic carrier cows and you shouldn't be surprised if pregnancy rates are low -- and it's certainly not the bull's fault. I have no idea if that was the case here, but you shouldn't be so quick to blame the bull and the breeder.

milkmaid":1zli3scx said:
Appears the original poster isn't ever coming back, but just for the sake of adding a bit more info to the post....

...there's several diseases out there that old cows can carry without ever showing symptoms, but will cause major problems when uninfected virgin bulls become infected. The next breeding season the bulls are fine, they're just carriers, but it's okay because the cows are carriers too. Think vibrio is one of the diseases that does that. You bring in a clean virgin bull, throw him in a herd of asymptomatic carrier cows and you shouldn't be surprised if pregnancy rates are low -- and it's certainly not the bull's fault. I have no idea if that was the case here, but you shouldn't be so quick to blame the bull and the breeder.
I believe most of the posts about the bull would be correct under the assumption that the poster was correct when he referred to his cows being healthy. Given the fact that only 20% of the cows got bred and he never checked things out on the bulls end then one could also assume he did not know what healthy cows were either.
Don't have a clue why he didn't come back. Maybe embarrassed. Shouldn't be. Everybody screws up and learns some very pricey lessons doing it.

Well,
#1 How old was this bull? 35 cows is probably too many for a yearling bull. I wouldn't feel comfortable putting a yearling bull in with much more than 20 cows his first year.
#2 I assume the bull passed his BSE, so therefore, it could be one of two things. Either he has low libido and just isn't interested in breeding cows or possibly, a cow twisted under him early on in the breeding season and maybe hurt him. It doesn't take much to turn those young bulls off breeding especially if they get hurt trying to breed a cow early on.
Most reputable breeders will give you credit for whatever you paid for the bull towards another bull. Myself, I would keep the best of the cows and sell the rest as the price of hamburger cows isn't terrible right now and then maybe buy some heavy bred cows and get a new bull. JMHO. Good Luck.

Latest posts