September calves!

Help Support CattleToday:

MurraysMutts

Reaction score
Should have quite a few.
I'll try n get pics as they come.
Still waiting on the tan heifer.....

Moving the 3 remaining heifer home this weekend so I can keep a closer eye on them. Much easier to just FIND them at home.

So I'm gonna go get em in the morning.
I plan on penning the 2 heavy breds with a bale of good hay til they calve. Should be real soon. Then I'll load em up after tagging calves and take em back to their home.
I hate to move a heavy bred heifer, but after losing the last one, I want to do everything I can to be successful here.

Any advice?
Thanks a bunch

MurraysMutts said:
So I'm gonna go get em in the morning.
I plan on penning the 2 heavy breds with a bale of good hay til they calve. Should be real soon. Then I'll load em up after tagging calves and take em back to their home.
I hate to move a heavy bred heifer, but after losing the last one, I want to do everything I can to be successful here.

Any advice?
Thanks a bunch

Hauling heavy breds isn't really a problem if they're handled properly and have decent temperament. Lots of dairies in Wisconsin send heifers to Nebraska for growing and bring them back when they're 7+ months pregnant. A short trailer ride won't stress them much unless you make it stressful.

That makes me feel a bit better.
Will definitely drive gently, with love...
The weather coming Tuesday concerned me a bit now. Least they will be easy to treat if needed.

3 very heavy bred heifers caught and penned!
Hay and water til they calve I'm thinkin.
Got an older mama didnt show up for feed this morning. She should be off having a calf. Report back tmrw....

Bertha getting close too...

Saw the bull breed her. Shes due September 12th.
Idk if shes gonna hold that long...
Shes getting that walk

And ain't this fun..
Shes says what the heck you looking at?
You cant rush perfection!

Theres a lot of scrub and what not over there. It's very hard to maintain. I just try not to overstock. Pretty much a wild habitat. Lol!

I had instant buyers remorse when I bought her.
She was pretty dang cheap because of her color and she aged at 7 or 8.
This is her second calf for me. The first was dang fine heifer. She was a bit skittish but she brought way more than i gave for mama.

This ol girl has really surprised me.
Thinking I should've kept her heifer.
I'll find a pic..

Before weaning.

After weaning. Or while weaning.
Center of photo

A lil later.

Well, we are 2 for 2.

2 heifers. 2 dead calves.
1 last month. And this one.
She calved fine. Sac didnt break and the calf suffocated. Eveindently I was a couple hours too late.
Sometimes, no matter how hard we try....
I have so many foul words I wanna say right now.
Bad thing is, vet called this one 5plus bred, a month ago. I just had a feeling ya know?
She showed no signs late last night.
Guess I have to step up my game and check em every couple hours. I dont have an orphan or I'd try and graft...
Just dangit!!!!

No new ones this morning.
Got up in the middle of the night to check em.
All I could think was, a watched pot never boils....
Lmao!
The yesterdays mama is retaining tho.
Was hoping she would've cleared it by now.

Yeah. The sac was over the front half of the calf. Face, front legs and front half of body. She had been licking. But the wrong end!
I Feel bad for her. Her first try was a failure.
My plan is to sell her, but we will see

MurraysMutts said:
Yeah. The sac was over the front half of the calf. Face, front legs and front half of body. She had been licking. But the wrong end!

One thing to consider if you decide to keep her: they have a tendency to get downright FAT unless you can graft another calf on her. Feeding an open doesn't make the most economic sense - but I've done it before so no judgment.

TCRanch said:
MurraysMutts said:

One thing to consider if you decide to keep her: they have a tendency to get downright FAT unless you can graft another calf on her. Feeding an open doesn't make the most economic sense - but I've done it before so no judgment.

Yeah. Idk what to think myself. I thought I found her a calf to graft on but that fell thru.
I mean the worst part is over now.
Who knows what you'll get if ya buy something else...
I've got a lil time either way. Shes gotta clear that placenta while I consider.
:roll:

Another bummer for you Murray, things have got to improve soon. I can remember about 10 years ago I went down early evening to check a heifer calving and could hear this breathing noise from a long way off, really loud snorting. I looked over the fence and heifer was licking the calf but the sac was still over the head and it was putting the big ones in trying to get air. I quickly cleared it and the heifer calf went on to be one of my best cows. I'll never forget the noise it was making.

Ken

This calf was probably born last month. But its official this month. It's an adopted heifer calf. And she has her tag to match her new mama, who seems to love her already. All is right in the world tonight....

Yes. This the heifer that didnt successfully birth her calf 2 days ago.
Yes. I bought an orphan.
Yes. So far it was pretty easy.
Yes. I'm an old softy....
I love it! Lol

Latest posts