seperate heifer letting other calf nurse

Help Support CattleToday:

ugabulldog

Reaction score
I have a heifer about to calf that is letting another calf nurse (sometimes kicks away sometimes doesn't) How important is it to separate heifer so her new calf will get the colostrum?

ugabulldog":171yfip1 said:
I have a heifer about to calf that is letting another calf nurse (sometimes kicks away sometimes doesn't)
How important is it to separate heifer so her new calf will get the colostrum?

Extremely Important.

1. Colostrum

2. I learned a hard lesson the hard way when I didn't separate a heifer allowing another's calf to nurse before calving.
She refused her own calf... actually Killed It when it tried to nurse! And then stole the nursing calf from the other cow.
She was so in Love with that calf she wouldn't let you or any cow near it. HEIFERS B Crazy
No problems with subsequent calvings, but she was nuts over that one.

So by now you know how important it is :). I would also suggest giving this heifers calf colostrum replacer (not supplement), depending on how much/often she let the other calf nurse because when it's gone, it's gone.

OK thanks, looks like I've got some separating to do and buy some replacer also just in case.

ugabulldog":2wkmaomi said:
OK thanks, looks like I've got some separating to do and buy some replacer also just in case.
Get the good replacer. Minimum of 20% protein and 20% fat with all milk and milk by products NO SOY. You can store the unused in a freezer and it will be good for years.

Latest posts