Senepol/senegus

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

Dear sirs ,

I have just decided to import some senepol cattle into the tropics . Since I have heard that they are very heath tolerant . Whatabout about other aspects as gain in weight comparing to other breeds . We have planned to dress bulls of in feed lots. How will senegus work in our humid high temp. area?Do you advise only to go as far as F2 . The same they advised me on the Brangus .Too much Angus will not give you the performance you need in the Tropics.

Please advise

Rick Hilversum

[email protected]

you can consider Italians breeds too, in Brazil they are breeding and crossbreeding Romagnola and Marchiniana cattle with different Cebu breeds

> Dear sirs ,

> I have just decided to import some
> senepol cattle into the tropics .
> Since I have heard that they are
> very heath tolerant . Whatabout
> about other aspects as gain in
> weight comparing to other breeds .
> We have planned to dress bulls of
> in feed lots. How will senegus
> work in our humid high temp.
> area?Do you advise only to go as
> far as F2 . The same they advised
> me on the Brangus .Too much Angus
> will not give you the performance
> you need in the Tropics.

> Please advise

> Rick Hilversum

[email protected]

In the true tropics senangus would probably work well, but make that Red SenAngus. If the extra carcass traits from the Angus really pay in your area I would stick with Senangus bulls and keep using them on the heifers sired by Senangus. You'll give up some heterosis but if your keeping heifers it would be better to have the heat/humidity tolerance in your cow herd. If you don't keep heifers you could go weith Simmenthal or Gelbvieh to get more frame on the calves and unless they are kept through more then one summer spell the slight decrease in heat/humidity tolerance shouldn't have much affect. But this is pretty much conjuncture on my part about the Gelbvieh/Simmenthal.

dun

dun

dun

> Dear sirs ,

> I have just decided to import some
> senepol cattle into the tropics .
> Since I have heard that they are
> very heath tolerant . Whatabout
> about other aspects as gain in
> weight comparing to other breeds .
> We have planned to dress bulls of
> in feed lots. How will senegus