semen

Help Support CattleToday:

Bulls are collected in one of two ways.
Easy to handle bulls are collected while mounting a "jump steer".
Range bulls, or bulls that aren't so easy to handle, are collected in a chute using electro-ejaculation. Electro-ejaculation stimulates the bull by sending a mild electrical charge through the prostate, properly done it does not harm the bull and by outward appearances, most bulls seem to find it pleasurable.

The ejaculate is caught in a specially prepared AV (artificial vagina). It is then examined for volume, motility, and sperm cells numbers before further processing for freezing.

Ann B

Ann, I sure hope those bulls don't mind it, because it sure is a nasty looking procedure. :shock: It's just an ends to a means (or should I say mean to one end).

Personally I figure if they did enjoy it, we wouldn't have to put them in the squeeze every spring when we test 'em... they'd be voluntarily lining up waving at the vet as he pulls into the yard. ;-)

Take care.

Thanks gals!!! You ole menfolk out there don't have a reply to this, come on guys!! Or is that the only two methods.????

Well, I can't vouch for the accuracy of this story --- but an older neighbor of mine told me he knew of two middle aged lezzies that had a real tame bull a few years ago and thought they would collect him by one holding using a Mason jar and the other one stroking his (the bull's) "manhood". They apparently lived through the incident, but I don't suppose I would recommend anybody trying that method!

charlotte":2hilt6s5 said:
Thanks gals!!! You ole menfolk out there don't have a reply to this, come on guys!! Or is that the only two methods.????

That's it! I doubt if showing them videos of naked cows with tape across their eyes so that they can't be recognized would help much.

dun

I know of a brahman breeder who had to collect his bull with the 'personal' method. Apparently it worked ok, something about the bull being hurt and there not being enough time to get him to the collection agency.

And it is my opinion that the bulls do not enjoy the electro-ejaculator. They squeeze their eyes shut and tears trickle out. BTW I noticed that no one mentioned where the electro-ejaculator is placed.

Thanks Guys, subject came up in a discussion and i never really thought about it or ever read about it, so i had no answer.

Come to think of it, that may be a good treatment for the ole man when he's being a real anal area!!!!!! As long as there's pain, lol!!!

charlotte":ptrt1a86 said:
Come to think of it, that may be a good treatment for the ole man when he's being a real anal area!!!!!! As long as there's pain, lol!!!

That whimpering you hear is all the males that have read this post!
The cheers are the females.

dun

That just isn't right. :shock: :eek: :stop:

charlotte":23heod5f said:

charlotte":3pzhf3ib said:

I hear that sort of sick stuff goes on in California every day, and they like it! :oops:

CattleAnnie":4e88ewkg said:
Ann, I sure hope those bulls don't mind it, because it sure is a nasty looking procedure. :shock: It's just an ends to a means (or should I say mean to one end).

Personally I figure if they did enjoy it, we wouldn't have to put them in the squeeze every spring when we test 'em... they'd be voluntarily lining up waving at the vet as he pulls into the yard. ;-)

Take care.

I'm sure it has to do with the type of ejaculator used -- on my bull they used one that was battery operated with a very small electrode attached to what appeared to be a coaxil cable, and he LOVED it!
The other bulls that I saw collected that same day, in the same manner, all appeared to enjoy it -- they even walked right into the chute and waited for their head to be caught. On the other hand, the 1 bull I saw collected at K-State, definitely did NOT enjoy it -- but they used a thing on him that looked like it would be more suitable for an elephant.

Ann B

At the Metro Toronto Zoo, a rather cute blonde gal uses the personal method to collect elephant semen, using rather thick loves and YOU SHOULD SEE the size of the squeeze chute! Made out of 8X8 steel posts.

When I took my bull into be tested, he was real nervous and hard to get into the chute. Mind you, he hadn't seen a cow for over 5 months. When he came out he was pretty relaxed. I was expecting him to light up a cigarette. :lol: He walked back on the truck pretty as you please. It looked to me like he enjoyed it. My brother says he should get one of those for the bedroom. ;-)

ga. prime":296gpvjh said:
How many straws of semen are there from one ejaculation?

It depemds on the volume and the quality. Anywhere from zero to several hundred.

dun

Latest posts