Semen Tanks

Help Support CattleToday:

I personally think that the MVE tanks are the better value and are really good tanks.

The company's that sell semen usually have a AI kit that has gloves, lube, gun, sheaths, thaw unit, straw cutter, tweezers seems like I'm forgetting something, but anyway you can usually get the kit for around $200, I think, it's been awhile since I had to buy one.

As most have had only one tank maybe you should check with Charles Levins at Bulls Eye Genetics.
Also they are located not very far from you in No. Alabama

Email address is :
http://[email protected].

He advertises on Cattle Today and is good people.

rgv4":3kmhc39p said:
I personally think that the MVE tanks are the better value and are really good tanks.

The company's that sell semen usually have a AI kit that has gloves, lube, gun, sheaths, thaw unit, straw cutter, tweezers seems like I'm forgetting something, but anyway you can usually get the kit for around $200, I think, it's been awhile since I had to buy one.

Let me re-phrase it:
I have two tanks, MVE and a Taylor-Wharton, I personally like the MVE's.

You just need to research the different kinds and find the one that has the capacity that you need and the price that you want to pay. Most all of the company's that sell semen sell the tanks too, find the company that is most convenient to you.

Usually in the spring when most every one purchases the semen for that breeding season the AI company's will run a special sale on tanks. I bought mine from Accelerated Genetics. It's a MVE and I paid no freight and got a discounted price on the tank. Part of sale deal.

I think I have the best deal. My semen suppliers provide their own tanks. Also do the heat detection for me.

Texan":3afp500g said:
I think I have the best deal. My semen suppliers provide their own tanks. Also do the heat detection for me.

OK Texan, point well taken :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I see the smart remarks that are no help have already started in this post too. :nod:

Anyway, I have and like the MVE tanks too. Like certherfbeef said, in the springtime most co. run specials, if you can wait that long. MVE tanks though are usually reasonably priced all the time.

ffa dad":ixez59g9 said:
I see the smart remarks that are no help have already started in this post too. :nod:
Boy! Aren't you touchy! No room for a little humor in your world today? Sounds like you could really use it! Whassamatta? Bottom of the class day for you or something?

Whassamatta? Bottom of the class day for you or something?[/quote]

Nope. 1st in class out of 8 and Breed champion.

Chuckie, I apologize for having strayed from you question here for a moment, just had to answer Texan's question.

Texan":1qaqzh52 said:
ffa dad":1qaqzh52 said:
Boy! Aren't you touchy! No room for a little humor in your world today? Sounds like you could really use it! Whassamatta? Bottom of the class day for you or something?

I have to agree Texan. I have learned from your post cann't say that about most, and enjoy your humor. If that was a smart --- reply he had better stay away from the salebarn and real cattlemen, as they are known for brutal honesty.

ffa dad":238hspxv said:
Nope. 1st in class out of 8 and Breed champion.
Wasn't talking about shows, silly. I was referring to the testing/academic use of the word 'class.' Should have known......

Anyway, conversations for most people go off on tangets on occassion. Just like you have successfully steered this one toward your passion of showing. But you're not gonna hear me complaining about it. Yet.

Congratulations on your show results, by the way!

ffa dad":1ljpn8zy said:

I don't see this as a smartass remark.
Texan is only stating how he runs his operation.
There is much other to complain about other than Texan's comments.

Well, it sounds like I need to wait a bit before I buy one to get the best deal. But I am going to look into what each of you said. I know that the semen must stay frozen, but I have to ask this question. (Something a kid would ask!) Why must the semen remain in Nitrogen? Why can't it be put in a deep freezer set at 0* and still remain alive? Seems that the tempature is so cold in the tank, that it would kill the sperm since it will burn your hand if you touch it. Now that I have read to leave it in the tanks to preserve it, I definitely will do so. Now, other people are asking me why I need to buy a tank, and I need an educated answer other than because everyone else buys them!! :lol: :lol: I would hate to say, "I don't know why I am spending $400+ on a tank when the deep freezer has plenty of room!" :oops:

Unless I'm totally misinformed, a properly charged seman tank (nitrogen) will keep straws frozen for 2 months or so. Zero deg. F. is not cold enough (as in freezer). If I remember correctly, "Absolute Zero" is about -420 deg. F. Think nitrogen temp. is somewhere in that direction. Since nitrogen tanks are portable (no power required to keep frozen) they are method used (except large tanks at semen facilities, several feet in diameter). Even a "non-semen tank" storage unit (portable) would thaw straws rather quickly, even if heavily insulated and packed in dry ice.

We have 3 MVE tanks and we really like them. We bought a new one this year at the Houston Livestock Show. Most of the semen company run speciald on them durring the livestock shows.

Latest posts