Semen tanks

Help Support CattleToday:

Ebenezer

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 25, 2015
Messages
2,177
Reaction score
230
Location
Piedmont of SC
Any thought or experiences on sizes, brands, ... Thinking about getting a new one as the current one has some years on it. I do not know if anything has changed in options. Thanks.
 

Jessica06

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 11, 2007
Messages
916
Reaction score
0
Location
Texas
We've had our XC 20 for close to 10 years and it still looks like new. By far, I think it's the most bang for your buck. We got ours on sementanks.com for about $500. I think that's still pretty close to what they are now.
 

cow pollinater

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 22, 2010
Messages
5,749
Reaction score
5
Location
Eastern OK
I'm partial to MVE's. I have two now and sold a couple before I moved and the two I have now spent eighteen years bouncing around in the back of a pickup and they still hold like new tanks.
Holding time wise, get the smallest neck that will fit your needs. Small neck holds longer. Take it to a truck accessory store that does spray in bed liner and have them spray up to a few inches from the top. If that's not available wrap the bottom half in carpet.
 

R V

Well-known member
Joined
May 1, 2012
Messages
203
Reaction score
1
Location
Southwest Missouri
cow pollinater":1o1lc7l5 said:
I'm partial to MVE's. I have two now and sold a couple before I moved and the two I have now spent eighteen years bouncing around in the back of a pickup and they still hold like new tanks.
Holding time wise, get the smallest neck that will fit your needs. Small neck holds longer. Take it to a truck accessory store that does spray in bed liner and have them spray up to a few inches from the top. If that's not available wrap the bottom half in carpet.

What are the advantages of spraying the tank? Durability, longer holding time??
Thanks!
 

cow pollinater

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 22, 2010
Messages
5,749
Reaction score
5
Location
Eastern OK
It increases the hold time. You won't notice it as much when the tank is new but it will keep it holding like new for much longer.
 
OP
E

Ebenezer

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 25, 2015
Messages
2,177
Reaction score
230
Location
Piedmont of SC
cow pollinater":4z65ci4g said:
It increases the hold time. You won't notice it as much when the tank is new but it will keep it holding like new for much longer.
Wonder if a hot water heater wrap would do the same thing?
 

hopalong

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 4, 2006
Messages
506
Reaction score
0
Location
my little place of heaven
I have a C T 10 tank with a jacket that came with it... even in the heat of AZ I get a solid 60 days before I have to refill... they claim 75 days but when it gets down to about 6" I have my SS rep refill it,,, why chance it?? only complaint I have is sometimes hard to get canisters out at first,,, experience pays off in the end
 
OP
E

Ebenezer

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 25, 2015
Messages
2,177
Reaction score
230
Location
Piedmont of SC
hopalong":1cypisxw said:
I have a C T 10 tank with a jacket that came with it... even in the heat of AZ I get a solid 60 days before I have to refill... they claim 75 days but when it gets down to about 6" I have my SS rep refill it,,, why chance it?? only complaint I have is sometimes hard to get canisters out at first,,, experience pays off in the end
I just recognized the jackets on tanks in an ad last night. Thanks. I guess I had never thought to look closely at the ad before as it comes in Cattle Today every several weeks. Maybe I am not just ALMOST asleep when I am reading! :oops:
 

Latest posts

Top