Semen Tank

Help Support CattleToday:

MVE SC 20/20. Or XC Millenium. The Millenium is cheaper and the No 1 seller but for another $100, the MVE SC 20/20 has a thicker aluminum hull. Notice the weight difference. That translates to more durability and less likely to develop a leak. The semen company who you do most of your business with will fill it with nitrogen during his delivery visit. I just had my visit today from Select Sires. You can still get semen from other vendors but I like to have a primary vendor. My firld agent is Kenley Conner. What a great guy. Even gives you free advice. :lol: I am serious, he is a great guy!

Ussually by this time of year, the major studs have tanks available that they shipped full of semen and nitrogen out west and they have gotten them back. They sell at a substantial discount but are basicly new and still have a new tank warranty.
What you need to look at is both the static hold time and the working hold time and a neck diameter of and inch and a half. Years ago I had a tank with an inch neck that held forever. But boy was it a bytch to get the canes in and out of the tiny canister.
Macon also has tanks: http://sementank.com/

If you are going to mainly buy Gert semen (that's what I am assuming anyway) most of the reps do not carry semen on them. Be sure to find someone that will fill on a regular basis. I bought one from ABS when I started. Reps changed fairly soon after, and it is tough getting them out every 4 months. I bought another tank from a breeder, and my 3rd I just purchased from Macon a few months ago. I started with the Millenium and the last was a bigger tank that has about a 6 month hold (not sure on model # as I am at work).
Some reps will charge more if you are not buying semen from them.

I'm not really worried about getting it filled. Got a place to do that about 10 minutes from my house. Just wanting to know things that people realized with hindsight, like the diameter of the whole mentioned above.

Latest posts