Semen exams on bulls

Help Support CattleToday:

cbcr

Reaction score
Was at a sale the other day and overheard some guys talking about the number of bulls at some sales not passing a semen exam.

The extremely cold winter is to blame, but what has anyone else heard or experienced?

if they dont pass their BSE exam they are sale barn bound as far as im concerned.an i wont buy a bull if his BSE is 80 or lower.a BSE of 70 is considered a non breeder.

:clap: My 3 angus bull PASSED THEIR SEMEN TEST today, I am super happy. One is NH, have a home
for that one with a commercial herd - one is a home bred, straight Precision but clean (named him
"Clean Precision") and the final is an Oak Hollow AI out of a 16 yr old cow.
Now to get them sold and gone. It's a great day!

That is good news. We heard that at some of the sales that when the bulls were tested just before the sale, many did not pass. Thay had provided bedding but they think that the problem may have occured 2 or 3 days later, just from the extreme cold temperatures.

cbcr":166lzgnc said:
That is good news. We heard that at some of the sales that when the bulls were tested just before the sale, many did not pass. Thay had provided bedding but they think that the problem may have occured 2 or 3 days later, just from the extreme cold temperatures.

Cold stress -20 degress celcius and lower for any extended period of time will definitely affect semen quality.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11963661

Latest posts