Semen at bottom of the tank

Help Support CattleToday:

Jake

Reaction score
What's the easiest way to retrieve semen that has dropped to the bottom of the tank? I can't see it when I shine a light and it should still be in the cane. Thought about a little bolt grabber but thought maybe somebody had a better idea than I have.

Jake":ppknf1qx said:
What's the easiest way to retrieve semen that has dropped to the bottom of the tank? I can't see it when I shine a light and it should still be in the cane. Thought about a little bolt grabber but thought maybe somebody had a better idea than I have.

Bolt grabber works. Got a story. I dropped a cane into tank at Fire Sweep Simmentals. SS guy came to retrieve it. Could not see it. Emptied the tank. Even turned it upside down. No cane. Kris was looking in the tank and saw it. Got it out with bolt grabber. SS guy said it must have hung up in the internal struts. He said due to exposure, to discard it.

If you cannot see the cane, tilt the tank and shake it lightly

Parts grabber and a headlight. Put the tank in a dark room, take the cork out and put the parts grabber in to chill and then let it set for a few minutes so the fog clears. If you have another tank to empty the canisters into pull them out. If you have two full tanks just hang one canister out of the other tank and it will give you some wiggle room.
If it's a wide neck just run the nitrogen down and reach in and grab it.

Most of us that AI have had this happen. A couple years ago I was at a semen distribution company picking up more semen. When I mentioned the dropped straws from one of the canisters, they pulled the entire canister out quickly and laid it in liquid nitrogen in one of their large tanks. Once they pulled out all of the canes from the canister, they found my straws at the bottom of the canister, including a straw I didn't even remember dropping from probably 7 years ago.

So, if you are close to a semen company or bull stud that collects and freezes semen, I would encourage you to take it there. They can retrieve the lost straws and canes and still keep the semen viable.

Latest posts