Semen Amount?

Help Support CattleToday:

TxCoUnTrYbOy

Reaction score
i am raising a brahman bull, he is 8 months old now. but i plan on collecting and selling semen. what im getting at is how much semen does about a 2 year old bull produce in one ejaculation? are we talking gallons? how many straws would it be? this is my first bull so i have no idea what to expect.

TxCoUnTrYbOy":kksqeptt said:
i am raising a brahman bull, he is 8 months old now. but i plan on collecting and selling semen. what im getting at is how much semen does about a 2 year old bull produce in one ejaculation? are we talking gallons? how many straws would it be? this is my first bull so i have no idea what to expect.

Forget "gallons"...think in terms of cc's (aka "mililiters"). Our jumps by an A.I. Facility have produced anywhere between about 50 and 100 straws...a very small amount in a straw.

Unless you are jesting in your post, don't even think about collecting it yourself. Rather hazardous activity unless you know what you're doing, AND, the processing and freezing in nitrogen is a rather technical activity....requiring sophisticated lab equipment.

The volume of the ejaculation means very little. It needs to be checked for the viability of the sperm, number of serm, etc. Iy is then mixed with a cocktail of things to extend the semen, keep it from being damaged in the free4zing/thawing process, antibiotics, and feed it. The quality of the ejaculate is what governs the quantity of finished product you'll get.

dun

TxCoUnTrYbOy":3pgk2l22 said:

What kind of market do you anticipate for your bulls semen? Why?(kind of sounds like a consumer math question doesn't it.)

To sell semen from any bull he has to be way above average of the breed for all traits, and at the top 20% or better of the breed for
most traits. It also takes a lots of promotion and top performing offspring.

well i wont go for selling semen. what would you recommend doing to make a little bit of money with a bull? im thinking get a heifer and sell calves. or im thinking of getting a heifer and just starting my own little herd. the problem with that would be trying to decide if i want to cross different breeds or keep purebred Red Brahmans

crossbreed.
you can get some good hereford cows for cheap (compared to say, angus)

Beefy":10i4mbul said:
crossbreed.
you can get some good hereford cows for cheap (compared to say, angus)
I agree with Beefy. Besides you will have the tiger stripes.

Latest posts