Selling Walnuts

Help Support CattleToday:

ksl1

Reaction score
Has anybody sold walnuts? There was an ad in the paper that people was buying black walnuts @$0.12 a pound. I picked up 5 1/2 feed sacks full today off of 1 tree. I had to pick them up before we mowed the yard anyway. Might as well try to sell them.

Take the money! I don't know anybody around here that pays anything for them. I always put them in 5 gallon buckets under the shelter thinking someday I might shell some. Squirrels end up eating them all and scattering the husks all over everything.

In this area there are hullers in about every town, some towns have several. Usually after the first week the price drops a couple of cents. When we hauled ours in it was 13 cents a pound. That is based on hulled weight. Takes about 100 hulled walnuts to make a pound.

dun, according to that, to make $5 an hour, I would have to pick up 3800 walnuts per hour . Maybe a grain vac would work, but that would cost more than $5 an hour . Maybe I'll just stick to the farming thing :) .

Larry

larryshoat":1wulua9m said:
dun, according to that, to make $5 an hour, I would have to pick up 3800 walnuts per hour . Maybe a grain vac would work, but that would cost more than $5 an hour . Maybe I'll just stick to the farming thing :) .

Larry

Except for the unemployed, they're considred just found money for most people. Kids pick them up, they get picked up to clear areas to mow, etc.
This device is one of th slickest deals I found, you just roll it across the ground and don;t have to bend over and you can pick up a lot of walnuts in no time. Also picks up acorns, hickory nuts, pegans, rocks, horse turds and pices of cow pies

I sold 216 lbs of hulled walnuts for $26 on Tuesday. I ain't getting rich, but they had to picked up for us to mow the grass. That's $26 more than what I had.

ksl1":kj3fkn13 said:
I sold 216 lbs of hulled walnuts for $26 on Tuesday. I ain't getting rich, but they had to picked up for us to mow the grass. That's $26 more than what I had.

That's how we view it, found money

I helped the kids pick for the last 2 weeks. Last week they had a trailer full, 905#@$12 cwt, they raked in $108, today we picked again, they got 869# @$12 cwt=$104.28. It is hard work, but kind of addicting, and there were a ton of walnuts this year, a good activity for the kids to earn some money. Monday the price will fall to $10 a cwt. It started out at $13cwt, but only held at that price for 2 weeks. Seems walnuts run good every other year, last year there were hardly any at all, and this year, beautiful big green ones!

GMN