Selling unweaned mixed calves

Help Support CattleToday:

Had every intention of banding at weaning.
Didn't work out that way. One is steered.

I need to make more of an effort to band em early!

So far. I have 4 bull calves on the ground out of 16
Got 2 more to go at one place, then I need to get er done. Tho my hereford bull calf will probably remain a bull. I wanna see how he does.
When did you tag them?
They are easiest to catch when still wet.
Bull calves today were bringing 20 to 30 cents less than their steer herd mates at Williams Lake BC.

As KAStocker posted, you are giving away a $100 plus profit to the guy that buys and castrates your calves.

When did you tag them?
They are easiest to catch when still wet.
Bull calves today were bringing 20 to 30 cents less than their steer herd mates at Williams Lake BC.

As KAStocker posted, you are giving away a $100 plus profit to the guy that buys and castrates your calves.
This group got tagged here at home when born. I'm ashamed, but I just bought a banding tool a few weeks ago....
Any steers I have, will have been done at the vets prior to this.
Now, I've heard, u can band at birth without administering tetanus? How far out from birth can I get away with that?
What say you?

And I also need an implant gun as well.

Not as big a spread right now on bulls vs steers here. But I wholeheartedly agree, I HAVE to make a better effort! I don't need bull calves. I need steer calves. I don't raise breeding stock.

We band at birth and give an eight way clostridial at branding. Oldest calves are six weeks old and we wait until 14 days so vaccines have better efficacy. I know they say 3 months is best but ours are long scattered by then. We have lost one calf to tetanus in nearly 40 years of banding.

Make Sure You Count To Two After Bander Removed!!!!! You can hook the band with one finger of your bander and pull off if you make a mistake.
Also, use the bands you need from the bag and throw the rest away after a year. Keeping them in the freezer helps lengthen life.

Here we go!
20211021_175123.jpg
Number 4 heifer rwf was very pretty.

10,11,and H were the 3 baldy bulls. I saw weaned and unweaned calves of same kind sell for less. And some for a touch more.

111 was the steer I pulled off Sugar so she can grow some

NOW. 14 and 114 were both heifers of about the same age. There's pics in my thread about Ricky. 14 was a baldy out of Big Sexy. 114 was all black out of my brangus. They sold together and brought same money.

961 was Midnight. I tried grafting her on Bertha and it didn't work. Came out ok tho.

So now on to the surprise!
That number 1-6 heifer is out of my number 1 cow, Rocket. I guaranteed heifers open. She is almost 11 months old.
She came back 3 months bred by ultrasound!!
Guess what @TCRanch I'm having an oops baby!
I've kept every heifer out of my number one cow. I decided I wasn't gonna keep this one. The last ones all got to stay by accident basically. May as well keep on keeping on I guess!

We will band up to 8 weeks or so without tetanus. They get clostridial (blackleg) ... preferable after 6-8 weeks as the thoughts are that the vaccine will actually work against the cow's natural immunity passed to calf.
Your prices are better than here. Overall about $.20 better...

With the wheat getting put in a little late around these parts, prices are steadily climbing it seems.
It appears I'd have done better to wait another month on MOST of my calves.

I'll get better at this game as we go.....

Latest posts