Selling the herd!

Help Support CattleToday:

Devin

Reaction score
Due to several factors I am 99% sure that I am going to sell every cow/calf on the place. We had an ice storm here in January and it destroyed 50% of the fence on all three of our farms. I also got a new off farm job that requires a 60 mile drive to and from every day. I'm leanming toward selling everything and making repairs as I can and buying more after the repairs are done. Just not enough time in the day. Thanks to all of those who have given me very valuable info over the last few years. I'll be back when I get a new herd. God bless.
Devin

I don't know your finances; but if you could free up some dollars from some place (maybe by culling a 1/4 of the herd) and hire 3 or 4 Mexicans to put the fence back up for you you might be surprised at how fast they can get that done and I have always found that the market values my cows less than what I would have to pay to buy their equivalents. You might come out ahead in the long run to just suck it up and pay now rather than later. You might also want to see if there is any federal disaster funds available to help with the costs.

Is there any way, as Brandonm suggested, to sell off part of the herd to generate some cash to repair fences on one farm, then put the remainder of the cows on that farm while you take the time you need to gain more funds for fence repair on the remaining farms?

I hate that you would have to sell all. Two more folks near me have sold out. One,due to a death in the family, sold the whole herd (350 animals that took many years to build a really nice herd) and the equipment goes next, then the farm. A second fellow, friend of mine, sold all 200 of his this past Wed. due to financial reasons so you're not alone. I just hate to see it happen.

You'll do what you have to do. Make sure it is a decision you can live with.
I don't envy your position, must be very difficult.

Good luck and even if you sell them all, come back to the boards anyhow.

Katherine

Don't be too hasty, if your anywhere near westville ok, PM me, I don't have a problem fixing or building fence and taking cattle in trade. Be glad to help, its slow right now in trucking.

sorry that you got hitt so hard this winter.an feel you must sell all your cows.so you can take your time rebuilding all the fences.

Latest posts