Selling the calves today

Help Support CattleToday:

milkmaid":fhg6s3m1 said:
I no-sale'd two holstein steer calves last week, Lammie. I ran some 7wts through and was getting .84/lb, then they put two 350lb steer calves through (and they weren't that bad looking, really!), and they only brought .81/lb. I just decided that was ridiculous -- took 'em back home.

Sorry yours didn't sell as well as you would have liked. I think the buyers just want a certain weight, and if they're too light they don't want a thing to do with them. OK. :?

Around here it seems to be the lighter ones that are most sought after. Like I said, nothing fetched what it did a month ago and the absolute most I saw anyone get was 150 for a shorthorn no lesss, that was wild wild. Everything else went in the 90 to 130 range. We left shortly after mine sold. Our friend that brought the two trailers of cow and cow/calf pairs is gonna be disappointed. We did see a couple of his calves sell. He's got gas money. He shouldn't care anyways! He was selling and he just had bought some week before last. He had some nice heavy black calves.

I don't know if I said it, but the best I got was 132.50 for a black baldie, but he'd been sick and was light. I was praying he didn't have a coughing fit in the ring. His sister the free martin got 102.50. The little black heifer I got off a split brought 127.50. My black ugly dairy steer got .75 and Ferd the Mystery Brown Dairy Looks Like a Brown Swiss Thing got .70. I only paid 55.00 for him when he was a baby, though.

I told my husband that I am learning every day,and this was a really good experience for me. From now on, it's cheap, if I can get it, and ugly. Those Holstein steers were going for .70, but I can make my money back and then some. I'm telling you, a month ago, those dairy steers I had would have gone for 120 easy. I just sold too late.

Stupid drought!!! :mad:

I would like to suggest Direct marketing your Calves. I have tried this approach for the first time this year, and have had some success. I sell calves for $1.50 lb. Live Weight, @ around 600 lbs. I haul them to the Slaughter Facility for my Clients, and from there its between them and the Butcher. Sold three this way this year, hope to sell many more this way next year. Its not too hard, people are really interested in Low Fat almost Organic Beef. I tell um these cattle have had nothing but Mommas Milk, Grass, Salt, Minerals, and Water. Unlike the Feed Lot where your Grocerie Store Beef comes from, these cattle have had no Steroids, Growth Hormone, or Anti Biotics. Just naturally raised Beef. Works Well, and its the Truth.

I actually had some interest from folks in doing this. That, or buying the calves from me and fattening them themselves. I do agree that folks like to know where their meat is coming from and it is less expensive in the long run than buying meat when you need it from the grocery store. I have a big demand for our eggs. Hens can't lay them fast enough. But it is hard to make any money a dozen eggs at a time. It does indicate, though, that folks want fresh product. My chicken are a hobby for me, too. They just lay more than we can eat!

On the up side, July is enjoying all the extra food he's getting. I am sure he would think twice about pigging out if he knew where he was headed! :shock:

Texas Ranch Man":zfxw161e said:
I would like to suggest Direct marketing your Calves. I have tried this approach for the first time this year, and have had some success. I sell calves for $1.50 lb. Live Weight, @ around 600 lbs. I haul them to the Slaughter Facility for my Clients, and from there its between them and the Butcher. Sold three this way this year, hope to sell many more this way next year. Its not too hard, people are really interested in Low Fat almost Organic Beef. I tell um these cattle have had nothing but Mommas Milk, Grass, Salt, Minerals, and Water. Unlike the Feed Lot where your Grocerie Store Beef comes from, these cattle have had no Steroids, Growth Hormone, or Anti Biotics. Just naturally raised Beef. Works Well, and its the Truth.

I split a heifer a couple of times a year with people that are repeat customers but I have not tried it as a marketing approach for my calves. When we do a heifer she is around 1000 or more - why would folk want to spend the money for slaughtering a 600# calf? That's the average weaning weight for my calves & I never have thought of slaughtering at that size or weight. Fixed costs of slaughter plus size of steaks & possibly a loss in flavor (we find the older grass feed animals to have very good taste - like 24-30 months & in that 1000# range).

Latest posts