Selling pairs

Help Support CattleToday:

Jtylerb82

Reaction score
I've got a few older mommas I know I'm gonna sell. They all have calves right now ranging from a month to 4 months old. All the calves are steers so they're going as well. Question is sell them as pairs and be done with it or let the steers ween and then sell. Ultimately all they're doing is eating grass other cows could be eating and taking up space. Do I go ahead and sell now and get my replacements or ride it out and sell separately?

I would look at the sale results from your local stockyard.
I also have a cow I plan to cull with a calf on her but I'm gonna hold off till June. Our cull cow and cow calf market is usually a lot better then.
If I had to take them off right now I would sell the steer separately considering steers around 3-400lbs are bringing 1.70-1.80lb.
Last week at my local stockyard pairs were only bringing around $800.

kenny thomas said:
Cull cows are expected to be higher this summer. If you have the grass let the calves grow and the cows get higher.
Kenny is correct. Keep them as long as plenty of grass or Labor Day at latest. They always get cheaper some time between Labor Day and thanksgiving. When cow are eating faster than grass growing get them sold but until then let them turn your grass into more $$. Wait until fall or winter when cheaper to replace them.

Where you at Jtyler? Where I am at along with PaPaw the grass will grow well until July or so before starting to fade. The cows will stay in good shape until then even with a big calf nursing. The calf will gain 2 to 3 lbs a day on grass and milk. That means every day you keep the pair they put $3 to $4 a head in your pocket, with very little expense.

If your grass is good, adding the replacements now and selling the pairs in July/August would seemingly work out best. Just don't overgraze the place. Be ready to sell if it starts getting dry.

I'm in Mississippi. I'm almost at the limit of what my place would hold that's why I hate to add replacements while the culls are still there.

Texas PaPaw said:
kenny thomas said:
Cull cows are expected to be higher this summer. If you have the grass let the calves grow and the cows get higher.
Kenny is correct. Keep them as long as plenty of grass or Labor Day at latest. They always get cheaper some time between Labor Day and thanksgiving. When cow are eating faster than grass growing get them sold but until then let them turn your grass into more $$. Wait until fall or winter when cheaper to replace them.

Lots of variables to be considered and we can only answer at face value so I will agree, but don't pass up a good deal if it makes sense. I sold 3 under perfoming cows a couple weeks ago and picked up 2 young pair. Only had to boot a C-note.

1982vett said:
Texas PaPaw said:
kenny thomas said:

Lots of variables to be considered and we can only answer at face value so I will agree, but don't pass up a good deal if it makes sense. I sold 3 under perfoming cows a couple weeks ago and picked up 2 young pair. Only had to boot a C-note.
About how much were your two young pair where I'm looking at pairs but most ones I see are old 7plus and 8 yrs and people are asking 1100-1200 bucks.

$1100 for 1000 lb Angus first calver and 1100 lb second calver with month old calves. Came from a herd dispersal through the local auction barn. $1100-$1200 for those 7 & 8 year olds....if the calves are big enough to sell in a month or two might be a decent deal.

1982vett said:
$1100 for 1000 lb Angus first calver and 1100 lb second calver with month old calves. Came from a herd dispersal through the local auction barn. $1100-$1200 for those 7 & 8 year olds....if the calves are big enough to sell in a month or two might be a decent deal.
yeah calfs are around 300 ish

1982vett said:

Why are old pairs worth $50 more than young pairs ?

They aren't.

Difference of the calf by the side of the cow. The 300 lb calf by the side of the old cow split off now will bring around $540 which gives you the cow for $560-$660. Good possibility the cow is also shortbred.

The month old calves I bought I valued @ $200 making the cows purchase price $900.

Stocker Steve said:
1982vett said:
yeah that's what I been trying to understand I'll pay more for a younger pair but older pair just doesn't add up numbers wise maybe it's size of calf but I feel like conduit in of older cow should make it cheaper

Why are old pairs worth $50 more than young pairs ?

1982vett said:
They aren't.

Difference of the calf by the side of the cow. The 300 lb calf by the side of the old cow split off now will bring around $540 which gives you the cow for $560-$660. Good possibility the cow is also shortbred.

The month old calves I bought I valued @ $200 making the cows purchase price $900.

I got ya kinda make a little bit more sense in that way .

kenny thomas said:

Good general advise for my area.
I tested the water last spring with old cow & young calf, and was disappointed.
A sell now exception would be a poor cow that can not milk decent and hold her condition.

Latest posts